Which SoundMagic? PL 11, 12, 18 or 20?
Oct 25, 2008 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

ExtendeD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, as many of you may have seen, FocalPrice is selling the other SoundMagic models, and they are quite cheap! In fact, all of them are under $10 and there is almost no price difference between each model. I already ordered the PL-30, and with any luck, they'll be here sometime next week. But I was looking at some of these other SoundMagic models as a back up. The packaging looks pretty nice, and for only $9, what's the risk? They also come with nice accessories such as a bag and different tips. Hopefully they are better than the Marshmallows or CX300's. Now my question is which one is best? I have no idea what are the differences between them, if anyone knows or has suggestions, please comment.

Thanks

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 65
I was the first to get the PL30. At the time all the others were out except the PL18 which is their latest model. It should perform well and it is stated as well balanced. PL20 is also supposed to be balanced. PL12 is high detail(read bass reduced). PL11 is super bass.

I guess get the sound signature you prefer and get the newer PL18 over the PL12 if you want a balanced one.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was the first to get the PL30. At the time all the others were out except the PL18 which is their latest model. It should perform well and it is stated as well balanced. PL12 is also supposed to be balanced. PL11 is high detail(read bass reduced). PL20 is super bass.

I guess get the sound signature you prefer and get the newer PL18 over the PL12 if you want a balanced one.

Wow, thank you so much! That was exactly the answer I needed.

Have a great weekend.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtendeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The packaging looks pretty nice, and for only $9, what's the risk?

Yes, they come with like $5 worth of accessories, so unless they are absolute crap, it is a no-brainer. The most difficult is choosing the model (hence this thread).

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 65
You're right. I wasn't sure so I checked but in the wrong place. Double checking the SoundMagic site PL11 is bassy, PL12 is reduced bass, PL18 and PL20 are stated as clear and balanced.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 65
I'm interested in how the PL-20 sounds in comparison to the Skullcandy FMJ, seeing as they look exactly the same in design and cost $10.

I have to get the PL-30 first, though, but before that I need to replace my fried Zen Stone with an 8gb Sansa Clip (reason I have no money to spend, reserving it all for that), so it could be a good month or two until I get them. So, if you get the PL-20 and either own or have access to the FMJ's, could you A/B them for me? If you don't it's fine, because I could always get them a few months from now. Or maybe even along with my PL-30's depending on the conditions.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 65
An eBay seller advertises the PL20 as follows: Quote:

- Adjusted version of PL12
- Stress on giving deep bass

Since PL12 has reduced bass (according to jant71) I am a bit confused.

I may well try my luck and get the cheapest of the bunch: PL18.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An eBay seller advertises the PL20 as follows:Since PL12 has reduced bass (according to jant71) I am a bit confused.

I may well try my luck and get the cheapest of the bunch: PL18.

Exactly. He also stated the PL11 as an adjusted "reduced bass" version of the PL12. This is getting very confusing.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #10 of 65
Just did a check on soundmagic homepage. Nothing much stated abt these models. The only one stated as extra bass is the Pl-13 which looks to be using a new 10mm diver instead of 9mm like the rest of the lineup.

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 65
Hi,
Would be interested in hearing your impressions of these other soundmagic models.
Particularily interested in finding out which model is closest to the PL30 in detailed bass setting as I don't want the flimsy knob- would it be the PL18?

Finally could someone tell me what the web address for this company is.

Thanks all.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 65
Oct 29, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #13 of 65
Even I want to get one the these sub $10 pairs. Can't decide which ones to go for.
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 65
Yes thankyou gradesm, thats what I was after.

I wouldn't have minded $10US a few months back, but since you guys (USA) torpedoed the world economy our exchange rate has poo'd itself.

Although still cheap as far as headphones are concerned. I don't particularily want to waste money on useless plastic noise-makers, as opposed to a reasonable pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back