Which SoundCard to buy ? Asus Brand [Solved Xonar Phoebus]
Jul 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
On the review on the site http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-10-2012-ultrasone-pro-2900-added-many-edits

He says there is a problem with 5 clock to 7 clock means everything behind you with DT880, I think it's going to be a problem cause i really want the perfect headphones with no issues.

So I understand the only choice is DT 990 Pro 250ohms and not premium, cause not different between them ?

The Premium is a little more comfortable then the Pro, but they have the same guts.
I find my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm very comfortable to wear.

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #17 of 28
So i bought Xonar Phobus and should i get this headphones ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Headphones-600-ohm-version-/380341014711?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item588e1750b7

This is the cheapest i could find, you think there is cheaper ? the Xonar Phobus will run it without Amplifier ?

EDIT : Ok i ordered it ! i hope i won't be disappointed , I just need to know if i need Amplifier to get it run with 600 ? or the SoundCard will be enough

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
So i bought Xonar Phobus and should i get this headphones ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Headphones-600-ohm-version-/380341014711?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item588e1750b7

This is the cheapest i could find, you think there is cheaper ? the Xonar Phobus will run it without Amplfier ?

That DT990 Premium is way over priced, Amazon has them for $280.
And you can get the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm for $180 (which is what I would recommend).
But the Phoebus should be able to work with the 600-Ohm version.

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
GX is Asus attempt to offer something to compete with Creative's EAX 5.0, but I'm guessing most Xonar users do not really use GX that much anyway.

My understanding is that DS3DGX is mostly a DirectSound3D wrapper like Creative's ALchemy...but that wouldn't explain why it would attempt to emulate EAX 5.0 in OpenAL titles like Battlefield 2. Regardless, it is not its own set of reverb/chorus/occlusion/etc. hardware-accelerated effects.

Unlike ALchemy, though, it seems to have the wrapper enabled by default for all DirectSound3D games (probably by dropping the wrapper files in the Windows system folder rather than the games folder), for better or for worse, so there's the chance that people are using it without even realizing it.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #20 of 28
Another question i forgot to ask, Does Asus Xonar has "What U Hear" option ?? Cause i need it sometimes for recording things using the internal high quality instead of a mic, Important !

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:
Another question i forgot to ask, Does Asus Xonar has "What U Hear" option ?? Cause i need it sometimes for recording things using the internal high quality instead of a mic, Important !

What is an "What U Hear option"?

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
Another question i forgot to ask, Does Asus Xonar has "What U Hear" option ??

Yes, you can select "Mix" as the recording source, which, according to the manual, "will record MIC, AUX, and digital WAVE audio you are playing on PC".

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #23 of 28
So it's the same, Cool i thought i am going to lose this. so if i put it on the recording it "Mix" it will record what i play realtime ? just like What u hear

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

I found that it does not.  The Asus® Audio Center applications shipped with both the official XONAR® Essence™ STX driver WinRAR and the newer Unified XONAR® Driver by Brainbit can monitor Mic In, Line In, or Aux In at the selected analog output; not so (Stereo) Mix, which sums all inputs for recording or streaming but provides no local monitoring.  I'm afraid that most audio cards capable of locally monitoring Stereo Mix (and I don't mean planar audio chips compliant with the Intel® High Definition Audio standard, which are prone to motherboard noise as delivered) are no longer supported in Microsoft® Windows® 6-up.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #25 of 28
Wait a minute...I thought the Stereo Mix/"What U Hear" option was for recording the sound card's OUTPUT, not the combined inputs. It normally wouldn't capture an input unless that input was also configured to output on-the-fly for monitoring purposes.

I don't have a Xonar card or other C-Media-based card to test with, but not having the option would be a pretty huge oversight given how not only X-Fi cards have it, but even basic integrated Realtek codecs (though the relevant input is usually disabled by default, and Windows hides disabled devices in the sound control panel by default).

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #26 of 28
I bought the Xense months (to a year?) ago.

Still have it and very very pleased with it.

The reason I bought the Xense over the STX or ST is because it provided the breakout 5.1 cable PLUS the benefit of a headphone amp.

I don't have to unplug anything, use any type of splitters or anything.  It's all plugged in and whenever I want to switch from speakers to headphone, it's a simple switch in the software.

One thing I absolutely love as well is that the Xense is very well shielded.  I hear no interference from cell phones or other devices.  Previous sound cards I've had seemed to have this drawback.

The only times I would hear any sort of crackling was because either the stream (I use Spotify Premium) or low quality audio.

This card is super convenient and it's not too shabby on the audio quality end either :wink:

Oh and one last note.. I sold the Senns that came with it, it was nice but I already had a pair of Beyers at the time.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #27 of 28
Consider something by HT Omega.

I have an eClaro and love it even if only because it has been simple and reliable.

My eClaro came with a 7.1 surround system VGA speaker-out as well as surround sound software so it's good for movies via either a speaker set-up, as mentioned, or via headphones using the software's headphone surround sound modes.

I suspect the e/Claro + Audio Technia ATH-AD700's would be a really good gaming and movie combination though I think you'd give up some bass when listenign to dub-step.

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #28 of 28
from http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000388762/

ayutara, this guy says Xonar Phoebus sounds better than his older cards. his soundcards history: Xonar DS → SE-300Pci → Titanium HD → Xonar DSX

I own a Essence ST with LME49720NAs... but its looks like "new is always better"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back