Which sony discman is the best audio quality?
Mar 17, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 37

noseallinit

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Posts
725
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by veracocha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is dne-920 headphone output power ? and I have sony de-446 discman what is de-446's headphone out put , any information ?


you can download Sony manuals on their website.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...?DIRECTOR=DOCS

DNE-920
Output
Headphones(stereo minijack)
Approx. 5mW + Approx. 5mW at 16ohms
(Approx. 1.5mW + Approx. 1.5mW at 16ohms)*
*For the customers in Europe

Sony has discontinued the DNE-920 and DNE-20. I'm hoping they are getting ready to release replacements for these two models. I have noiticed Sony leaving a void in some of their product listings once a product has been discontinued and then at some point in time a new product listed in it's place. for awhile they did not even show on their site offering a MiniDisc at all until they released the current MZ-RH1. so far the highest PCDP they offer on their site is the D-NF430 and all the models listed have been available for awhile. for some reason I do not remember the D-NE050 PCDP being listed on their site before. I dunno if it is a somewhat current PCDP or not.

a bud sent me this link the other day. you can now get the DNE-920 for $85 through NewEgg which originally sold for something like $175 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882105048

I like the DNE-920 and DNE-20 for they have Line Level output as well as Optical output. these were the only models of their current or recent line of PCDP's that offered these features. I like the DNE-20 best of the two but I do not like it's onboard controls being underneath it unlike the DNE-920 which are on top. wish I had the money to get one but then again I'm curious of what Sony might release next for the DNE-920 and DNE-20 were not me favorite of some of their PCDP's released over recent years.

the D-E446CK in the Spanish Manual appear to be the same specs as the above DE-920 for the European model, 1.5mW. yet it's shown as 15mW + 15mW a 16 ohimos
 
Mar 17, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #17 of 37

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Posts
2,960
Likes
11
Location
Anacortes, WA USA
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only real problem I have with the NE330 is that is has a real nasty hiss with my UM2s. To the point where the hiss overpowers the music. It sounded good with my K81 though.


Hmm, good to know. I have not listened to the NE330 yet, but tempted to get one at my local BestBuy or maybe eBay.

I Googled some, and found a great site with lots of information about Sony ATRAC PCDP's

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51
 
Mar 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #18 of 37

jeanius

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 17, 2006
Posts
100
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may be helpful then?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=D-NE920

Try doing a search -there's quite a few similar threads.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif



Hey thanks!!!!
 
Mar 18, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #19 of 37

DJShadow

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 8, 2005
Posts
1,469
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can download Sony manuals on their website.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...?DIRECTOR=DOCS

DNE-920
Output
Headphones(stereo minijack)
Approx. 5mW + Approx. 5mW at 16ohms
(Approx. 1.5mW + Approx. 1.5mW at 16ohms)*
*For the customers in Europe

Sony has discontinued the DNE-920 and DNE-20. I'm hoping they are getting ready to release replacements for these two models. I have noiticed Sony leaving a void in some of their product listings once a product has been discontinued and then at some point in time a new product listed in it's place. for awhile they did not even show on their site offering a MiniDisc at all until they released the current MZ-RH1. so far the highest PCDP they offer on their site is the D-NF430 and all the models listed have been available for awhile. for some reason I do not remember the D-NE050 PCDP being listed on their site before. I dunno if it is a somewhat current PCDP or not.

a bud sent me this link the other day. you can now get the DNE-920 for $85 through NewEgg which originally sold for something like $175 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882105048

I like the DNE-920 and DNE-20 for they have Line Level output as well as Optical output. these were the only models of their current or recent line of PCDP's that offered these features. I like the DNE-20 best of the two but I do not like it's onboard controls being underneath it unlike the DNE-920 which are on top. wish I had the money to get one but then again I'm curious of what Sony might release next for the DNE-920 and DNE-20 were not me favorite of some of their PCDP's released over recent years.



That is an amazing price for a d-ne920. I'd pick one up if I could because I can't foresee any replacements being introduced.
 
Mar 18, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #20 of 37

grenert

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Posts
246
Likes
10
Newegg has been out of stock on the D-NE920 for a long, long time. eBay is the only place I've seen that model.

I have or had all of the following:
D-NE20
D-NE920
D-NE10
D-NF430

The top two are my favorites. I must like the digital amp. It is hiss-free with my E4c buds. The sound is very detailed, and I like the 3-band parametric EQ. They can barely drive HD580's to quiet-normal levels; but they do not distort. The D-NE10 is nice but not as detailed, and there is a little hiss with the E4c's. I don't recall how strong the amp was. There is a lot to like about the D-NF430: Pretty good AM/FM tuner, 15mW amp will drive my HD580's to loud-normal levels (not ear-splitting). The amp seems about as loud as that on my vintage PCDP's. It also has a little hiss and is less clear than the D-NE20. The D-NE830 mentioned above also has a digital amp, so it probably sounds very much like the D-NE20 and D-NE920.

I don't find any of these as "dynamic" sounding as my vintage non-portable players, where you really feel the drumstick hitting the drum. They also lack the open, airy sound of the vintage players.

But hey, let's face it: These are a lot more portable, they play MP3 and ATRAC CD's, and have great battery life. Plus, the models that have line outs (all but the D-NF430) can be hooked up to your favorite portable amp, which will certainly have plenty of power and dynamics.
 
Mar 19, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #22 of 37

noseallinit

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Posts
725
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is an amazing price for a d-ne920. I'd pick one up if I could because I can't foresee any replacements being introduced.


lets hope not! Sony is just about the only one offereing a Optical line out on their PCDP's.

I was afraid Sony was not gonna offer another PMD for their was not a single PMD listed on their site for awhile until they came out with the MZ-RH1. I dunno for sure but I can see Sony to continue to release new models of PCDP's. I sure hope so..
 
Mar 19, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #23 of 37

odoe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Posts
149
Likes
12
All this talk of discmans had me walk into my local pawn shop and I picked up a d-345 for $10.
Now I just need an amp.
Thanks guys.
icon10.gif
 
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #24 of 37

ronin74

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Posts
640
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by grenert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newegg has been out of stock on the D-NE920 for a long, long time. eBay is the only place I've seen that model.

I have or had all of the following:
D-NE20
D-NE920
D-NE10

I don't find any of these as "dynamic" sounding as my vintage non-portable players, where you really feel the drumstick hitting the drum. They also lack the open, airy sound of the vintage players.



I beg to differ, my vintage D-303 was plenty "dynamic" it has a wonderfully fat (not-phat) sound but sacrificed transparency and soundstage. IMHO the D-NE20 may not sound "as good" as many HF'rs claim, but sure sounds a heck a more real, as in live music. The transients and timbre from the NE20 are totally engaging.
 
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #25 of 37

ronin74

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Posts
640
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sony has discontinued the DNE-920 and DNE-20. I'm hoping they are getting ready to release replacements for these two models. I have noiticed Sony leaving a void in some of their product listings once a product has been discontinued and then at some point in time a new product listed in it's place.



Per the 2007 Sony eCatalogue (Japan only) the D-NE20 and D-NE920 are still alive and kicking. I plan to pick up a red D-NE20 and a blue anodized D-NE830 later this year.
 
Mar 19, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #26 of 37

noseallinit

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Posts
725
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Per the 2007 Sony eCatalogue (Japan only) the D-NE20 and D-NE920 are still alive and kicking. I plan to pick up a red D-NE20 and a blue anodized D-NE830 later this year.


really, on the Japan site?

they are no longer listed at sony.com

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...man&Dept=audio
 
Mar 20, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #28 of 37

grenert

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Posts
246
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I beg to differ, my vintage D-303 was plenty "dynamic" it has a wonderfully fat (not-phat) sound but sacrificed transparency and soundstage. IMHO the D-NE20 may not sound "as good" as many HF'rs claim, but sure sounds a heck a more real, as in live music. The transients and timbre from the NE20 are totally engaging.


I think the NE20 etc are more detailed than the older players, which gives more realistic timbres with acoustic instruments. They also have a dead-silent background. If you want to hear REALLY impressive timbres, check out the "HD" digital amps in the high-end Sony Hi-MD minidisc devices.
 
Mar 21, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #29 of 37

Damage

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 12, 2003
Posts
274
Likes
21
I wouldn't go that far and say that HD Digital AMP has really impressive timbers... Colored and flavored, definiately.

But the D-NE20 being a real champ vs. other older Sony CD Players? Definiately. The problem with the D-NE20 is a technical one, however, as it tends to puke when playing back discs with high bitrate compressed audio files. When the disc spins back to resume playing the file (note: the unit will spin to fill the cache, wait until it empties, then respins the disc to fill again), it occassionally has trouble picking up where it left off... And the result is skipping and jittering. Considering that this is a modern PCDP, it's unacceptable that a bug like this slipped by.

However, if you like your PCDPs to be premium, this is as premium as it gets, considering all the major players have stopped with the high end PCDP production, including Sony and Panasonic (with iRiver having left the party long time ago).
 
Apr 19, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #30 of 37

jarrett

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Posts
685
Likes
12
Bump, I need a new one too.

I have owned the DE401 for like 7-8 years and its sound is pretty good. I listened to the NE330 in the store today and I can't help but notice it seems to have a notch out of its frequency as if the EQ is working when it's supposed to be off. Not as sparkling sounding as my DE401 either. Does G-Protection work by saving in ATRAC or something "inaudible". I have Ety ER6i phones. Sigh I wish I could find something I like!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top