Which set for Drum'n'bass + iphone? Sennheiser PXC350. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro or Sony MDRXB700
Sep 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jimmy1

New Head-Fier
Hi all (newby alert)

Im after a set of full size headphones to use with my iphone.

I mainly listen to drum and bass and hip hop so some decent bass is required.
Im using using my DJ headphones currently: Sony MDR-V500
smily_headphones1.gif
. With the full volume on my iphone these are not doing the job at all (not being driven) + there purpose is for my DJ rig. They are NOT comfortable as I wear glasses and they start to clamp my head after an 1hr. Ive also ordered a Fiio e5 (from dealextreme)

Ive got a short list based on reviews Ive read (and price) looking to spend under £150 really.

Sennheiser PXC350
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm or 250 ohm?)
Sony MDRXB700

I dont have any local shops to try headphones so will be shopping blind. I have tried on some Bose "around ears" and found them very comfortable but for there £100 price tag I felt they were poor construction.

Any recommendations / opinions / advice?

Thanks in advance

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 17
the 770Pro is sibilant to death, the XB700 pads are just way too bulky...XB500 maybe? only if you like the idea of having a 4ft dual ended cable.

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 770Pro is sibilant to death, the XB700 pads are just way too bulky...XB500 maybe? only if you like the idea of having a 4ft dual ended cable.

thanks for the reply

phew - had to google "sibilant". Are you saying that they make a "sss" noise?

Any opinions on Sennheiser PXC350? They were my second choice....

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 17
well, the trebles are very agressive...especially because the cups are closed and made of cheap plastic. the 770Pro is meant to be used in studios(recording instruments/vocals, radio stations), and because its isolation is so good it clamps a lot...so bass is overwhelming as you wouldn't believe
redface.gif

it's got a pretty crazy V shaped EQ, if that's what you're looking for...I also listen to DNB(mostly Ed Rush+Optical), and I like my sound as flat as possible....no overwhelming bass or whining trebles
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 17
The PXC350 and 450 are NC, which is just a big minus when it comes to sound, as well, they offer great detail, good treble, laid-back mids, but lacking in bass, atleast for DnB. You wont be dancing through the streets with pendulum on, unless you..dont like bass. I've had them. Their plus is that they're very clear. They seperate extremely good. But still you pay a lot of dough ust for the NC, which is a gimmick imo.
I think the DT770 has to much of a difference in how much bass there is, and how loud the treble is. So you could be loving the bass, but still turning the volume down for less treble, and then get less bass. Despite the hate, what about ultrasones? FWIR people seem to bash on the bass heavy cans for being sibilant, and having very harsh treble, haven't heard bashing on ultrasones in that area.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the trebles are very agressive...especially because the cups are closed and made of cheap plastic. the 770Pro is meant to be used in studios(recording instruments/vocals, radio stations), and because its isolation is so good it clamps a lot...so bass is overwhelming as you wouldn't believe
redface.gif

it's got a pretty crazy V shaped EQ, if that's what you're looking for...I also listen to DNB(mostly Ed Rush+Optical), and I like my sound as flat as possible....no overwhelming bass or whining trebles
smily_headphones1.gif

I would disagree with that comment, electronic music sounds great with these cans if driven properley (and modded to the max!
regular_smile .gif
). Sparkling highs and deep bass is perfect for drum n bass, but not to good for portable use. Have you considered Shure SRH840?

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 17
You don't need a can that is known for boomy bass for Drum & Bass.. You want something that can play it back properly with plenty of low end extension. Closed cans to give the closest to car audio type bass though - if you are looking for that.

I enjoy all my DnB + Dubstep with my HD600/650. The D2000 made me nauseous due to all the bass in my head. The DT770 250ohm did surprisingly well with electronic music. At a price of ~ $ 175 used would be a good deal to sweep up.

Listening to Porta Pro's right now with Skream + Benga, they aren't that controlled, but sure give you enough slam to please most bassheads.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 17
The PXC350s are my "flight phones" and, in addition to offereing excellent noise cancelling, sound pretty decent. I use a Total Bithead with the iPod. I don't find them lacking in bass, mids or highs and they image pretty nicely, too.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for replys. Alot to think about here....I'll be honest and say that I dont want to start modding my phones (at least not during the warranty period) AND I have amazon vouchers so Im kinda limited to there selection.

I dont like the sound of the 770Pro being made of cheap plastic and "clampy". If I was to purchase the 250 ohm version will these be ok with a Fiio E5 and iphone as they are cheaper than the 80 ohm version?

Im not after head rattling bass but a punch would be good. Im sure most headphones in the higher price bracket will sound better than my sony MDR-V500.

I am drawn towards the PXC350s - I like the look, the shape of the cups, the cable design and it comes with a case.
I like what I read about the 770's, and they've been around for a while. They've been mentioned with Drum n Bass before.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was to purchase the 250 ohm version will these be ok with a Fiio E5 and iphone as they are cheaper than the 80 ohm version?

FWIR...

You are not likely to be pleased with the iphone > E5 > DT770/250. I suggest considering the ATH-M50, or the Q40 and mod it with Beyerdynamic pads. Search "M50" and "Q40".

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #15 of 17
spent the evening reading about the q40's and was ready to pull the trigger but:
>alot of people have reported the cable failing
>Id have to mod them - with new pads (more money) + maybe new cable
>Amazon dont have them in stock at the moment

If I buy the DT770 should it be 250 ohm or 80 ohm for my iphone?

*scratch chin* Im now torn between DT770 and Q40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back