Which Sennheiser's for College??
Sep 7, 2007 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tboneDX

New Head-Fier
I am looking at upgrading my HD500's, and need some opinions. I will be living in a college dorm, so I might want to consider some closed phones (HD265?), but I also like the possibility of picking up some used HD580's for a good deal. I will mainly be using my pc (with x-fi extreme gamer) and game consoles as sources, and I was thinking about getting the Denon AVR-1907 receiver to help with connecting everything at once.

Let me know what you think of my ideas.

Thanks for your time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 15
I would say... yes.

But if your roommate is someone who likes to watch TV and play games on it, then you might end up in my situation and have to go closed.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Yes to the overall setup?

All that I currently own are the sources and the soundcard.

Since the HD580's are discontinued I will have a harder time getting hold of a pair, so I might just go with the 265's to keep things simple (and prevent issues at college)

This receiver is 550 (msrp) at my local hifi store, whereas the 1707 (which lacks the 3rd digital optical input) is 350 (100 off msrp). Meh, I think I will have to go with the 1907, just because I won't want the hassle of connecting and disconnecting cables all the time.

I would also like it if someone could suggest, a comparable set of closed phones (as the 265's).

And one final thing, slightly off topic: how much should I expect to spend on a simple 2 input hdmi switcher (sans cable?). I still need a way to connect my pc and PS3 to my LG L246W simultaneously. I found one at Monoprice.com for about $20, but I'm concerned about quality.

Thanks again for all the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 15
FWIW, I got closed Darths because I just could not listen to music on my open DT990s in a dorm environment. Even though I have a separate room!

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 15
Do they have to be Senns? I only ask because the AKG K271 came to mind.

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they have to be Senns? I only ask because the AKG K271 came to mind.

I was gonna ask that question and suggest the Ultrasone HFI700 DVD.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 15
I have HD580s and I am in a college dorm. That having been said, it is the quietest dorm on campus (solid cinderblock walls) and my roommate also uses headphones so he doesn't mind the leaking (nor am I bothered by his music). I wouldn't trade my HD580s for anything around their price range, but the environment has to be right for them to be useful.

So, with the above caveats, I would recommend that HD580s. Realize that you kind of have to have an amp for them (and my Denon 1905 doesn't cut it!).

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 15
I'ld look at the Denon D2000 and the Ultrasone PROline 750. I understand getting closed cans...I sometimes wish I had closed cans so I could listen to music @ a library without having to worry about bothering others. But I figure I'll just got some Yuin IEMs for that purpose

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboneDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes to the overall setup?

All that I currently own are the sources and the soundcard.

Since the HD580's are discontinued I will have a harder time getting hold of a pair, so I might just go with the 265's to keep things simple (and prevent issues at college)

This receiver is 550 (msrp) at my local hifi store, whereas the 1707 (which lacks the 3rd digital optical input) is 350 (100 off msrp). Meh, I think I will have to go with the 1907, just because I won't want the hassle of connecting and disconnecting cables all the time.

I would also like it if someone could suggest, a comparable set of closed phones (as the 265's).

And one final thing, slightly off topic: how much should I expect to spend on a simple 2 input hdmi switcher (sans cable?). I still need a way to connect my pc and PS3 to my LG L246W simultaneously. I found one at Monoprice.com for about $20, but I'm concerned about quality.

Thanks again for all the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Monoprice makes awesome stuff for cheap

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 15
If it's as you say it, then I don't see why you shouldn't go for the 650.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 15
But this is college. People get stuff stolen in college all the time. I say get a decent pair of isolating headphones (HD280 come to mind) and use those for listening. The HD280 blocks a ton of noise and sound fairly good. Not as good as the HD580, but an open can doesn't really work in a noisy environment. If only I HAD the 280 when I was in college, I wouldn't have flipped out at so many people and their idiotic screaming, blaring rap music, and general moans of pleasure.

Get something isolating. You'll be glad you did

Nylan

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm in college and have the 580's. I'm happy I got these cans because I have little money, and these things are so well revered that I don't really have any temptation to want to buy a more expensive headphone (presently, given my current income).

I had a set of Senn 212 pro's before, and these were a nice headphone with a good price and good isolation. These just didn't accurately play back music (way too much bass) and made me think I was missing something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back