Which Senn for unamped listening
Mar 13, 2006 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gsk3

New Head-Fier
I know there was a thread on this recently, but that was on the 5x5's. My question is how's the HD 580 for unamped listening?

Some background
The Source: 320Kbps VBR well-ripped MP3's, either via iPod nano or by built-in sound from an IBM X22
The Music: Classical, some Jazz and Pop.
The Budget: Around $100. Used is fine, and definitely going to be used to get 580's in this price range. I've seen them on the sales forum, though, so not entirely worried.
The Future: Going to be a student for a long time. These have to last at least a few years, and there's no headphone amp in the cards....

So if I can find a 580 in good condition that I can afford, should I go for it? Or would I be better off with a 555, 595, or something besides a Senn? I'm a bit worried about the 580 being hard to drive, but I really like dark sound, and the 580/600/650 is supposed to be great for that.

Thanks!
Ari

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbb2005
most head-fiers will answer you 595

Hm. I know I mentioned the 595's in the original post, but most of the used prices I've seen for them are ~$160. I've got a long time horizon on this, though, so perhaps I'll wait.
Would the 580's with an amp be better for my purposes than the 595's with an amp? I'm starting to get seriously bitten by the sound bug
orphsmile.gif

Ari

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsk3
Would the 580's with an amp be better for my purposes than the 595's with an amp? I'm starting to get seriously bitten by the sound bug
orphsmile.gif

Ari

It really depends on your musical tastes and personal preferences.

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
It really depends on your musical tastes and personal preferences.

The Music: Classical, some Jazz and Pop.
I really like dark sound--in particular, I detest noise during what should be silence, but perhaps something else is meant by "dark sound," I'm a n00b. I do like what I would describe as a rich sound, where the full force of, say, Tchaik 5, Dvorak 8, or Mozart's Requiem can just wash over you.

--Ari

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 13
I'd have a think about amping before making a purchase decision for that kind of music. 580/600 will do much better but they need amping. Amps can be had cheaply, though, and you'd be better off spending money on an amp down the line than on replacing your phones.

I find 555/595 a bit harsh on the treble and they bring the midrange back - I turn the volume up to hear the midrange more and am blasted with treble.

555 are good value for money, though, and 50 ohm 555s will be very happy unamped.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 13
I took my sub 20 buck HD-201's on a trip....powered only by the jack in an old Discman
biggrin.gif

now they are used at my computer late at night or when I want a boost in sound quality over my Planar Media 9's...work great and some of the best closed phones under 100 bucks apparently
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 13
I am currently using my HD580s with a Simpl A1 amp with great results. You can get a somewhat decent level using the 580s ampless with an iPod but I would still use some type of amp to get the most out of these cans using an Mp3 player. Although there are by far many others with far more experience in these matters here than I. Just offering my opinions and hope they help!

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spetsnaz Op
I took my sub 20 buck HD-201's on a trip....powered only by the jack in an old Discman
biggrin.gif

The 201's are probably the best value ever. I bought a pair as a gift for the s.o., and sometimes sneak in late at night to steal them. But I'm looking for something a little more incredible here, even if it means spending a few bucks.
But yeah, first time I put on the 201's and listened...
eggosmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
580smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eek.gif

Ari

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
I'd have a think about amping before making a purchase decision for that kind of music. 580/600 will do much better but they need amping. Amps can be had cheaply, though, and you'd be better off spending money on an amp down the line than on replacing your phones.

I guess I should have added another category in my original post.
The Timeframe: Will buy the headphones within the next 2-4 months. If I were to buy an amp, it would be at least 6 mo after that (I'm assuming about $100 for the amp).

So the question becomes whether or not I will just hate the sound of the 580's without an amp and should just wait and save until I can buy both, or maybe buy 555's used and sell them used when I buy the amp+580's? Hopefully wouldn't take too much of a loss on the 555's that way....

Thanks,
Ari

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

So the question becomes whether or not I will just hate the sound of the 580's without an amp and should just wait and save until I can buy both, or maybe buy 555's used and sell them used when I buy the amp+580's? Hopefully wouldn't take too much of a loss on the 555's that way....

That's a great way of thinking about it. In fact, I did exactly this, except I got 600s. I just sold my 555s on for a $50 loss and they're 6 months old with no box; it was a "mates rates" situation because the new owner is a friend. The 555s got me started and I'm very happy with how things have panned out. The new owner is ecstatic about the phones and I'm going to miss them.

So, my answer to your new question is yes, you'll want an amp with 580s and you'd be best off doing as you suggest. Make sure you get a good deal on the 555s
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back