Which portable headphone has reference class/hi-fi sound quality?
Mar 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

hush4hire

New Head-Fier
Which portable headphone has reference class/hi-fi sound quality? I'm planning to buy one ultimate portable headphone.
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 30
beyerdynamic DT 1350 come as close as I have found.

They are pretty flat from 0 to 1kHz, sound amazing, and are very comfortable.

Here are the charts for them:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT1350.pdf

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 30
^^Yup, we need to know your budget. Assuming it's relatively unlimited, consider one of the flagship customs like the UM Miracles, the UERMs, the JH16s or the Westone Es5s. On the other hand, you could follow me in selling my customs and moving to flaship closed back headphones instead. The top two being the Ultrasone Edition 8s and the Beyerdynamic T5p. i eventually got the T5ps as I found they have the best soundstage in a portable setup that I have heard.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 30
No matter how high end ur custom is you still cant match a good pair of headphone such as beyerdynamic T1 and t5p assuming they sound the same. Still a flagship custon iem wil be above many $3-400 headphone and some in the range of $400-600

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
^^Yup, we need to know your budget. Assuming it's relatively unlimited, consider one of the flagship customs like the UM Miracles, the UERMs, the JH16s or the Westone Es5s. On the other hand, you could follow me in selling my customs and moving to flaship closed back headphones instead. The top two being the Ultrasone Edition 8s and the Beyerdynamic T5p. i eventually got the T5ps as I found they have the best soundstage in a portable setup that I have heard.

actually i'm not a big fan of IEM, it just makes me fell uncomfortable. I will stick with on ear or full size

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 30
The dt-1350 is far more neutral sounding than the M80.  The M80 / V80 have a very noticeably increase in the bass which is really out of place on some tracks.  So much so that it hurt my ear.  I normally love the M80, but with adequate testing I heard too much bass.

The dt-1350 is smooth and really clear sounding.  I would say it has a slight weakness in the mid range, but that is not to say it is not present.  The mid range is just a bit laid back for some music, but this adds to the soundstage which is a plus for a sealed on-ear headphone.

dt-1350 hands down over the M80.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 30
Ultrasone Edition 8? :D

Granted, it's not accurate nor neutral at all, but I'm sure the sound quality is excellent.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
+1...these things are pretty amazing but I personally wouldn't know how well they travel.

Well they sure are a lot more portable compared to other $1k+ headphones such as the PS1000 or the HD800 (and nevermind the Stax..).  You don't need a massive amp, and it's closed backed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back