Which portable amp for these phones: ESW9 and HD650
Jan 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a portable amp. I'll use it at home most of the time. Just spending some good time with my music while cruising the appartment, cooking and doing other stuff.

Most important is, that it has good power, as I want to use it with HD650 (maybe even dt770 in 600 ohms, though I know somebody will tell me, that I shouldn't do it ever with a portable amp). The ESW9 aren't that hard to drive, but the amp must have good synergy with these as well. My source is iAudio7 (FLAC)

I have done some research and boiled it all down to these:

iQube V1

or

SR-71a

Which one would you get?

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, you did your homework. These are two most likely suspects in the big-balls "portable" category and either will get the job done with excellent SQ by all accounts. That said, hard to drive phones will deliver much, but not *all*, of their potential with these amps in comparison with desk tops of equal quality. I had the same dilemma since I also boiled it down to these two. To me it was a toss-up and, in the absence of being able to audition either, I picked the SR71-A based on gut feeling after reading reviews -- and the fact that I planned on having another go with HD600's. Ray uses these phones in voicing the SR71-A.

Edit: The ESW9's definitely go through a transformation with proper amping (tightened lower-mids and bass) but are not demanding like the HD650. So, if the 650's are a lower priority you can get away with a more modest portable. ESW9's sound absolutely great with the D10; there are diminished returns ($$ value-wise) pairing these with the SR71-A. On the other hand, the D10 chokes on its own vomit trying to push really difficult loads.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 5
Even though the Hornet isn't on the list, I'm using it to pair with my HD650s and they are a great match. I definitely do enjoy the sounds that come out of this portable amp.

I've also used it with IEMs & Grados and they all play well with each other.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for response:)

But I'm leaning more and more towards the iqube. I have read about good synergy with both esw9 and hd650, mainly because of it's neutrality and transparency (these are colored phones). I also like the idea, that class d makes the amp more efficient (better battery life and very powerful). And a lot of people are ranking the iqube next best after LISA III (though I know, it's all subjective). It's not an easy one to choose, though. I really want both of them. Plus the Hornet and plus the Mustang.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 5
I just ordered the iqube. For a while I had this gut feeling about sr-71a. But iqube gets rave reviews everywhere and several posts mention very good synergy with hd650 and esw9. Afterall that's what I'm gonna use the amp for. Then I got a very good offer from a danish webshop, and that made the choice easier. Oh, I'ts so exciting!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back