Which player has digital out?
Jun 8, 2005 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yfei

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a HD based lossless player with digital out, so I can use external DAC. Any new, small, good looking player has digital out? THanks!

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by yfei
Any new, small, good looking player has digital out?

Nope.
frown.gif

Only the older Archos or iRiver DAP's have a digital out.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 8
That player looks very cool except for this:

"Playing time : 3hours (Video), 5 hours (Audio)"

Yikes.
blink.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Great King Bowse
Yeah, the old (and now discontinued) iRiver H140/120 has an optical out, that the same as a digital out?

Yes, an optical out is a variant of the generic "digital out" output name, technically known as SPDIF. There's also a version that goes by binary signal instead of light waves, which is coaxial digital out, this uses standard RCA cables, but can be terminated to 1/8" mono minijacks as well. They can carry the same information, but it seems that optical outs have a reliably higher quality output which isn't prone to interference. Beyond that, if you have a reciever that has an optical/coaxial digital input, you can get Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound from DVD players and multichannel music sources. It's worth taking a look at if you get the chance.
Hope that (convoluted) info helps!
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 8
Here is another with optical out.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000990046137/
http://i-station.co.kr/proPage.do?url=prdI2

Unfortinately it's in Korean and yet again it is still waiting to be released in the U.S. None that I can find supports flac. If you don't mind using ogg or aac this looks to be the most promising player in my opion. Does anyone know how aac compares to ogg or flac? Any new info on the audiophile neurosis player that is being developed?

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back