Which player for CD & SACD?
Mar 11, 2006 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Posts
1,006
Likes
28
I would like a player that does cd and sacd, preferably only those two. The two main players I'm looking at right now are Music Hall Maverick and Marantz 8260. I guess I would like people's insight on those two players compared to each other.

Or...would it be better to get a cheap universal player with an external DAC for redbook? I would like the SACD section to be good though. So I don't know if like a Sony something or another plus an Ack Dack! would be comparable to the above two players.

I have much much more redbook discs than sacd's and the sacd's I do have are hybrds, so redbook is much more important to me. But, I would like to be able to listen to the SACD layer also.
 
Mar 11, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 16

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 19, 2001
Posts
5,741
Likes
136
I have a Shanling s-100 mkII , cd only .
The sound for price stock is absoultely good . Upgradability , you can replace opamp without solder . It's keeping my ears satisfied from a time .

The scd-200 has very simlar ( better ) board layout , is a sacd player , and a nice plus it's solid aluminium tank built , gorgeous look ; if I can suggest you should take a look into it .

eda88043.jpg


SCD-S200_PIC2.jpg



this is only if you can't afford a shanling t-200
basshead.gif
 
Mar 11, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 16

Beauregard

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Posts
412
Likes
11
I've had the SA8260 for almost a year. I recently posted my thoughts about it here.

Good luck!
 
Mar 12, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 16

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Posts
1,006
Likes
28
Thanks everyone, I like the idea of the sony but i don't like the idea of a changer. Who knows, it might not be too bad?

Also, does any body have any experience with the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi?

That looks like it could be a viable universal player.

Oh, I was looking going used and under $750-$800
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 16

kurumaya

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Posts
99
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Oh, I was looking going used and under $750-$800



I'm facing exactly the same decision, and I've pretty much decided on the Denon 2910. Plays pretty much everything that I can think of, including HDCD, which I really like as well. Another benefit is that it can transalte PAL to NTSC, which could be useful. I'm planning to use the 2910's digital S/PDIF out for an external DAC, for use with redbook and possibly DVD-A, and the player's own analog circuitry for SACD.

This is an interesting point: Which player will output DVD-A at 24/96 in PCM, so that most DACs out there will be able to receive and modulate the signal. Is this crazy, or even possible? Will any player output the SACD signal in PCM, so that we can decide which DAC we like better?
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 16

Beauregard

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Posts
412
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
... This is an interesting point: Which player will output DVD-A at 24/96 in PCM, so that most DACs out there will be able to receive and modulate the signal. Is this crazy, or even possible?


It seems many, if not most, players automatically downconvert DVD-A to 16-bit/48kHz at the digital output. But this ends up being a moot point since the overwhelming majority of DVD-A releases have software copy-protection that forces 16-bit output even if the hardware is capable of 24-bit. There's more on this topic from Benchmark on this page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
Will any player output the SACD signal in PCM, so that we can decide which DAC we like better?


My understanding is that this is forbidden by the SACD standard which specifies that no digital signal is present during SACD playback. I've seen it mentioned that one particular model of player (which I don't remember) passed hi-res PCM digital when it was first introduced but the manufacturer fixed the problem.

Also, some players convert SACD to PCM before the analog conversion. I think there are some modders who can tap hi-res PCM and send it to the digital output with these units. Search the Audio Asylum forums for more info if you're interested.

Bottom line - evaluate a hi-res player for the quality of its SACD and DVD-A playback through the analog outputs and use an external DAC if you'd like an improvement from CD or DVD-V PCM.

Best,
Beau
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 16

kurumaya

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Posts
99
Likes
10
Dude, thanks, that was some serious demystification.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 16

micaela

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Posts
1,100
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
It really depends on your budget. In the Sub-$200 range, I've heard nothing but great things about the Sony CE-595. I'll probably pick myself up one in the next few months.



FYI - E Cost has the CE 595 on sale right now for $123.95.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~757301.asp
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 16

ssportclay

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 27, 2003
Posts
1,335
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
I would like a player that does cd and sacd, preferably only those two. The two main players I'm looking at right now are Music Hall Maverick and Marantz 8260. I guess I would like people's insight on those two players compared to each other.

Or...would it be better to get a cheap universal player with an external DAC for redbook? I would like the SACD section to be good though. So I don't know if like a Sony something or another plus an Ack Dack! would be comparable to the above two players.

I have much much more redbook discs than sacd's and the sacd's I do have are hybrds, so redbook is much more important to me. But, I would like to be able to listen to the SACD layer also.



You might want to go to the SACDmods sight and make a list of the machines he works on.Try to find any of these cheap on the used market and then have him do the work.This should give you better redbook SQ than either of the 2 choices above.
 
Mar 14, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 16

Beauregard

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Posts
412
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
Dude, thanks, that was some serious demystification.


My pleasure! I stumbled into the confusing world of hi-res a year ago and Head-Fiers were very helpful to me; it's nice to be able to pass along some acquired knowledge.

A couple of other things you might not be aware of:

Two channel 24/96 PCM is actually part of the DVD-Video specification - though rarely used. However, all of the audio DVDs available from Chesky, Classic Records, and AIX are either 24/96 DVD-V or dual-sided with 2-channel 24/96 PCM available on the DVD side of the DVD-A. There's no audio copy protection so these discs will give you a 24/96 PCM datastream from any DVD player with a digital output. Something to think about if you get a 24-bit DAC and want to try some hi-res source material through it.

Also, the DVD-A copy protection scheme was broken last year. I'm not computer geeky enough to fool with it but some Googling should get you full info if you're interested.

Good luck!
Beau
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 16

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2003
Posts
5,165
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Thanks everyone, I like the idea of the sony but i don't like the idea of a changer. Who knows, it might not be too bad?

Also, does any body have any experience with the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi?

That looks like it could be a viable universal player.

Oh, I was looking going used and under $750-$800



I do. In fact, I have a ModWright LLC modified Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. I have post a lot of information about the before and after too. Do a search. I think it is the best universal DVD player under $1000 USD for audio and video combined. It won the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity Editor's Choice award in 2004 as the best DVD player and it won numerous top awards from Hi-Fi Choice, WhatHiFi?, and UltimateAV along with The Inner Ear.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top