Which pawnshop DMM for a n00b?
Jun 15, 2004 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SSSSSmokey

New Head-Fier
I am working on getting started on some DIY audio. I'm planning on building a Cmoy amp then maybe a Pimeta. I figure I need a DMM, so which one of these is the better deal?

BTW, I'm not sure if the numbers are the model numbers or what, but that is what the meter had above the screen.
Fluke 70 - $50
Fluke 77 - $100

There was a bunch more, could someone name some good brands to look out for?

Jun 15, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

which one of these is the better deal?

Get the 77. It's easily more than twice as good a meter as the 70, even if the 70 is from a newer series. (The full model number will be something like "Fluke 77 Series II" -- there are three series in the Fluke 70 line, each with better features than the previous.)

You might consider getting the meter calibrated, since you don't know where it's been. For a handheld meter, calibration typically runs about $50. It's well worth it for the peace of mind, in my opinion. A new Fluke 77 is about $210.

Quote:

could someone name some good brands to look out for?

For handheld meters, Fluke is the best, but B+K Precision and Beckman are also good. If there are any benchtop meters there, HP is on par with Fluke.

Adequate brands are Wavetek and Meterman. These aren't as good as the above brands, but Fluke will factory-service them, so that's worth something.

I wouldn't buy any meter that you can't get repaired and calibrated. Since calibration isn't cheap, you can count on meters costing less than about $100 new to not be calibratable.

Quote:

bump

You waited a whole 6 hours before demanding attention?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back