Which Panavise?
Jul 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elliot42

500+ Head-Fier
So, it's my birthday soon and I think a good vice is in order.
I've been looking at the options from Panavise and have seen that the Junior (201) is a popular option as well as both the PCB holders (324 and 333).
There were also a number of posts from users saying they loved their Panavise but didn't say which one they used :p

Before searching here for opinions I was looking at the following combination:
Model 396 Wide Opening Head PanaVise - http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=7
Model 312 Tray Base Mount - http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=20
Model 358 Wire Manager - http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=38

The biggest problems I have related to not being born with enough hands involve soldering wires to round things like RCA sockets and other things hard to hold with helping hands, as well as keeping PCBs still enough while soldering.
I figured that the wide opening vise would give me the most flexibility in being able to hold larger PCBs as well as smaller ones and be used for holding sockets, jacks, etc while soldering wires held with the wire manager attachment (I could just use the cheap helping hands I have, but the attachment looks like it'd be easier to hold multiple wires and maybe a bit easier).
I was thinking that I would also be able to wedge foam between a PCB and the rails of the vise to hold components in while soldering the bottom of a board.
I could also make good use of it filing or cutting things during casework and just as a general purpose vise.

What I'm not sure about is if I'm going to end up melting the neoprene jaws on this vise if I use it to hold RCA sockets, etc. while soldering, or if I'm better off going with some other combination.
Maybe the Junior and PCB holder is a better combination, or maybe Junior and my combo, or maybe my combo alone will be fine; I don't know.

Anyone care to chime in with experiences or some suggestions on the best option?

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 9
elliot42,
    I use the panavise junior at work and while it is a really good tool, small, adjusts to almost any angle...the thread pitch on the adjustment is so fine that it takes forever to open or close. I also use the 324 model that has the board rails on a square pipe with little thumb screws that is much easier to use. Any of the styles like the 324 would do a good job.

BTW...the plastic jaws on the junior model are not very heat resistant...they will melt

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 9
I have the 324 and it is fairly nice, but for small boards with not a lot room around the edges (ie. grubDAC or Bantam) the clamp can hit the parts on the board.  Other than that, I think it is a great tool.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the replies. It certainly looks like the 324 is the most popular after the 201.
Any comments on the suitability of my proposed combo? My reasoning behind using this over the 324 is that it will be more versatile, but it does seem not to be the norm.
I also just thought I could fashion some jaw pads out of some silicone bakeware if melting the stock ones will be a problem.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 9
I personally went for the 300 base + 315 pcb holder and 303 vise head. In addition I picked up the teflon pads for the 303 which are rather good at not melting :)

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 9
I went with model # 350, added the # 315 PCB holder, used it a couple of times, got sick of it being in the way every time I turned around and now it lives in the shed.
angry_face.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I personally went for the 300 base + 315 pcb holder and 303 vise head. In addition I picked up the teflon pads for the 303 which are rather good at not melting :)

I did the same, although I haven't tagged the pads with the iron so I haven't enjoyed the fragrance of solder+plastic.  Yet.  Thanks for the tip!  I'll get the teflon pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back