Which Pair of Super.Fi Headphones?
Dec 18, 2007 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

berniebennybernard

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm quite confused on which Super.Fi's I should buy. Judging from the reviews and feedback I've gathered on Head-Fi, these headphones are extremely good for the genre of music I listen to (Rap/R&B/Pop/Jazz/Rock/Indie) and performs just as well as expensive buds should.

I'm new to this site, and I think I'm an audiophile in training. I have absolutely no clue to anything and the previous headphones that I've owned are the Sony MDR-EX51/71LPs, iBuds, Apple In-Ear (horrible things by the way) and Sennheiser CX300s.

The Super.Fi 3's are about $70, 4's at $110, 5 Pro's at $160 and 5 EB's at $135 (why the EBs are cheaper, I have no clue) with pricing off eBay - eBay Seller: ipacmm: MP3 Accessories, Consumer Electronics items on eBay.com

Are the 5's worth the extra money? I know they have dual drivers (can anyone please care to explain?) and a better soundstage (can anyone explain that too?) Also, I read they may not fit some people?

Apparently the 4's are more balanced? And IMO, they look extremely sharp so they do appeal a lot to me.

I don't know much about the 3's, but they're good bang for your buck I'm assuming?

If anyone has any good pointers/tips and information to let me know about that will help me make the choice of which pair of Super.Fi to get, please do so! I've been spending the past couple of days looking into new headphones, haha.

Thanks,
Bernie

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 22
Do not buy from ebay. Buy from either amazon or costco (costco if you live in cont us). You can get 3's for $40 at radioshack with a $10 coupon and the 5 pro's for $130 off costco (website).
I don't recommend the other UE's for their prices. Both are amazing deals for what they're worth so just pick one in your budget range (although I heard the 5 pro's sound significantly better).

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 22
Do they actually sell fakes on eBay? (assuming that's the concern as to why you said I should not buy off there) The seller sounds legit and the feedback as well. The pricing is close to what they have on Amazon as well as about the same as what you just quoted. Maybe I should email UE to have them confirm the seller is infact an authorized dealer?

I think I should mention I live in Canada. We have Costco here, but I doubt it'll be as cheap.. Does anyone want to buy a pair from Costco and ship it to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 22
I bought my Super.Fi 5 Pros from soundearphones.com the same seller you are buying from on ebay. They have an actual website as well. They were very nice to deal with. Prompt shipping and absolutely no problems.

As far as the Super.Fi 5 Pros go i am very happy with them and at their price i don't think there is much better out there in the IEM world. I have had E3c's, E4c's, and E5c's from shure and i prefer the UE Super.Fi 5 Pros. The type of music i listen to most is Rock,Pop,Indie,Alternative.

Hopefully this helps.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they actually sell fakes on eBay? (assuming that's the concern as to why you said I should not buy off there) The seller sounds legit and the feedback as well. The pricing is close to what they have on Amazon as well as about the same as what you just quoted. Maybe I should email UE to have them confirm the seller is infact an authorized dealer?

I think I should mention I live in Canada. We have Costco here, but I doubt it'll be as cheap.. Does anyone want to buy a pair from Costco and ship it to me
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure there's no fakes for UE IEMs. It's just...why would you want to pay more and deal with an eBay dealer (Amazon has higher shipping price? anyway, amazon is good with shipping). Do you have ratshack?? Just buy the super.fi 3 from there if you want, it doesn't cost much..$40...but I don't know about Canada. (hey, try say "about" lol
biggrin.gif
sorry..
redface.gif
)

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 22
If you go on the UE website they have diagrams to show you the models best suited for different music. I started there.

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 22
I have the SF5 Pro and my girlfriend has the SF3 Studio. There is a huge difference in sound quality, in my opinion. The SF5 Pro has a MUCH fuller sound, with strong bass and clear highs. The SF3 sounds good, but makes music seem a little more compressed or something, it reminds me of my pair of Shure E3c. From what I have heard, the bass on the EBs are a little too strong/muddy, but that may not be the case, since some people complain about the strong bass on the SF5 Pro. The SF5 Pro has bass that is great for rock/indie/rap/etc. but is not overpowering and is able to be used effectively with less bass-intensive genres as well. Check my Last.fm to see what music I listen to typically with my SF5 Pro.

If you are on a really tight budget, then the SF3 would be the way to go. They sound nice, but there is definitely a huge difference when stepping up to the dual armature SF5 Pro if you have the funds.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 22
If you want to save money buy the TripleFi's right away...
Otherwise, presuming you will grow into the audiophile addiction, you will eventually :wink:

I bought them, it's worth it.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 22
It depends on how much you're willing to spend. If it's under US$100, go with the super.fi 3 Studio; if over US$100, go with the super.fi 5 Pro. I have the super.fi 3 Studio and it's a really nice sounding IEM for its price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 22
Avoid EBay at all costs--you lose more money than gain some.

This phenomenon is somewhat asked often, so I believe a Super.Fi FAQ should be posted so that newbies who want to grab a pair of Super.Fi's or any UE Earphones will know what their next move is.

Any UE earphones are good, but if you are going to go with the Super.Fi 5, then it MUST be pro. No if's, and's, or butt's.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 22
I would go with the SF5. The difference between 3 and 5 is huge.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 22
Just to let everyone know that those are my auctions on ebay and I am an authorized direct dealer for Ultimate Ears. My site, SoundEarphones.com and my auctions with same username, ipacmm, are fully warranted, all products are direct from UE, brand new and factory sealed.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 22
Definitely get the 5 Pro or EB. Which one depends on your preferences. The 5 Pro have better clarity and balance, the EB have much better bass. I have both.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vesther /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any UE earphones are good, but if you are going to go with the Super.Fi 5, then it MUST be pro. No if's, and's, or butt's.

I completely disagree with this, and I actually own both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back