Which Opamp to use
Sep 27, 2001 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pmikka

New Head-Fier
Hi
I have a question, which opamp should i use and which outputbuffers?
My Idea was to build an opamp based Amp with output buffers.
So what opamps would you recommend.
Opa 134,627,637,lm6171,lf356,ad823,ad812?
Buffers:
buf604 or diskrete outputstage.
Which transistor to use?
I think bout using senn hd600, system is for home use.
THX
p.s. do you have to pay for shipping whem oredering free samples at TI

Sep 27, 2001 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 19
I think a lot of this will depend on the headphones you plan to use as well as the power supply. Some headphones (e.g., Grados) require quite a bit of current drive and therefore might be best driven with a buffer. Others may require less so you could get away without a buffer. If you are building a portable amp then op amps like the OPA134 seem to be preferred around here since they can be driven off of lower voltage supplies and draw less quiescent current. Others like the OPA627 seem to need a full +/-15 to sound their best which can be a pain to get from batteries. Do a search here... there is lots of info on this. I know some like the AD823 buffered very much.

Sep 28, 2001 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 19
Pmikka,

The main problem DIYers are having at this point is deciding on which opamp and buffer to use in this day of so many great design with such incredible specs.
I would suggest using parts based on the type of layout you will be using. Some really great parts require very careful board design to avoid problems. There are some fine parts which don't have these problem such as the very nice old standby from Burr Browm the OPA 132 134 or 2132 2134 in dual and 4232 4134 in quad. The BB Buf 634 is a very nice buffer which has quite a lot of output and is not really hard to impliment.
Also If you build for these parts using a standard 8 pin socket then you can try other parts later.
Dan

Sep 30, 2001 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 19
I use a OPA132 & 3 BUF634 for each channel to drive my ER-4S phones. They sound great!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think which opamp to use heavily depends on what headphones you want to drive. For my HD-580, I prefer OPA627 than OPA132 w/ the same setup above because 627/637's mids are just amazing! However, for Etymotics, OPA627s sound just too sharp & dead in the highs. So swap them around & try them out yourself to see which opamp you prefer.

Oct 1, 2001 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by shinew
I use a OPA132 & 3 BUF604 for each channel to drive my ER-4S phones. They sound great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you really need that many buffers to drive the 4S? I just got a pair of Etys and I'm still waiting for my parts to build a portable amp but if I did my calculations right from the Ety specs they only draw 10ma for 108db (which strikes me as pretty loud... isn't it?) Are the buffers just there so the amp can drive other phones, too, or should I make sure to design some into my design (which right now will probably be exclusively used with the etys? Thanks. -Tom

Oct 1, 2001 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 19
Hello,

This is a fact. Etymotics ER-4S can be driven to earsplitting volume by OPA134/132. Note 4S is in-ear phone. So it can be very loud at even lower levels.

Tomo

Oct 1, 2001 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 19
nope, it can't!
I've tried driving the phones without buffer & w/ just one BUF634 as buffer per channel before. Yes, it did sound fine most of the time, but when I listened to recordings w/ great dynamic range such as Mahler symphony No. 5 or some solo piano music(no, Heavy Metal is not as dynamic as these), they didn't have enough juice to drive my ER-4S(distorts during peak passages). I think parallel two BUF634 will be plenty, but one is definitely not enough, for me. that's a fact too.
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 19
Hey,

That is something else. Distorting at peak passages are not necessarily caused by juice running out. It is likely that BUF604 is clipping.

If BUF604 were running out of juice, it should show at extremities such as high freq end or low freq end.

Tomo

Oct 1, 2001 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 19
really? huh, never thought about that....

but how come after I paralleled the 634s, the distortion went away?

Edit: Tomo, I know the sort of clipping distortion you're talking about. I've had that problem too before. But I don't think that's the case here.

Oct 1, 2001 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 19
shinew,

when you found you needed to parallel buf634's,
did you notice if the bandwidth control made a
difference?

For example, did 2 buffers set to high bandwidth
do as well as 3 on low bandwidth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back