Which one to choose ?
Mar 4, 2007 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

evian_vortex

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of upgrading my current source (iRiver H10 Rockbox'ed) to a better source ... and 4 player currently caught my eye .

They are the iAudio X5L , the Cowon D2 , the Zen vision : M and the iPod Video . I'm not really concerned about size and weight , availability of FM receivers but the availability of video playback would be a plus for me.

I also have the intention of amping the head out / Line out of the above players .

I need a source rather urgently as my current source got fried after an accident . Can you guys help me make a decision ?

Thanks

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 13
iAudio X5: has a line-out, but it's pretty much accepted that the headphone out is the better thing to use. video sucks. 1.8" screen, transcoding required, 15 fps.

Cowon D2: has no line out. video support is decent, though transcoding is recommended. 2.5" 16 million color screen, 30fps.

ZVM: line out can be accessed through adapted (flimsy) or with a Qables connector. most videos will not need any transcoding. 262,000 color screen, 30 fps.

iPod Video: best line out of all the devices listed. all videos except those from iTunes will need transcoding. 65,000 colors, 30 fps.

the iPod is pretty popular around here because of how good it sounds amped out of its Line Out. The other three are more popular for the great sound they produce from the headphone out.

**edit**

if i got any info wrong, feel free to correct me.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 13
HMM ... Does that mean that the iPod sound hideous through the head out ?
I'm currently saving up for the Hornet , so i'll temporarily use the head out of the source ... Does that mean that the Head out from the D2 and X5 are not suitable for ampping ?

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Cowon players sound better than ipods in unamped application. Cowon in general have terrible lineouts. Better to amp through the headphone out...but lets be serious - linout is made for a reason - if you buy an amp and some serious headphones do you really want your source sound to be coming from the headphone out?

The ipod is ok through headphone out better through lineout, some believe unamped it sounds flat and dull, players like Cowon have a lot of inbuilt programs which tweak the unamped sound. The ipod stock EQ is a piece of *****.

We should really get some of the cowon and apple engineers on this forum... Give them a pounding.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 13
My D2 with Hornet is a good combination. Not ideal, but does the job. I use my D2 without the Hornet almost always though (more portable). I have my H340 lineout to feed my Hornet.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 13
I own a X5L (not rockboxed) and an ipod nano used with CX300 and PA2V2 pocket amp.

Honestly I don't use the ipod very often nowadays because it really sounds horrible to me through headphone out. I was really disappointed about it, so I stopped spending money here and never bought a dock to try line out. So I can't give you much information about this. Perhaps the "bigger" ipods sound better in a way, but I honestly can't believe, that Apple is using different interiors in both.

Mosty I use my X5L. Nothing to complain so far. Sound quality is the best I've heard on a DAP. I can't even agree that the line out is crappy, sounds even better as the headphone out. Can describe it as little bit more voluminous. The only annoying thing about it is that you have to stick in an adapter to use line out. At least this adapter is included. You can also purchase a docking station which is pretty handy.

And yes, the X5(L) has a bunch of "tweaks" built in (Mach3Bass, BBE). But all of these can be adjusted very accurate or even switched off. And you should use these tweaks very carefully. If you overdo, some interesting effects are created, but you don't hear the music as it is supposed to be. Especially "Mach3Bass" should be disabled using line out.
But as I already mentioned, all of these effects can be switched off, so this is not a problem.

Hope this helps a little bit...

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Guys , from what i had compiled in the portable setup thread ... it seems that the iPod 5.5 is more popular than the rest of the players ... So should i get that instead of the others ? Because it has a great lineout to go with the hornet ...

Kind of confused now , i know different player have different sound and they emphasises on different ranges of sound ... heard from others that the X5 seems to have a little treble roll off through the lineout , is it true ?

In my country , Singapore , the iPod Video (v5.5, 30G) costs SGD$428 , while the iAudio X5L costs SGD$488 (30G) and the Cowon D2 costs SGD$399 ... Which one offers more bang for buck , in terms of functionality and performance , according to some of the conditions that I had placed in the first post ?

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by evian_vortex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heard from others that the X5 seems to have a little treble roll off through the lineout , is it true ?

No, I can't confirm this. Or at least, I can not realize it with my present equipment.

Well, the ipod is _very_ popular, that's true. If you go into a shop asking for a DAP, the first thing you'll see is probably an ipod. But the things which are most popular doesn't have to be the best.

The best solution for you might be to buy both and test it for yourself. Then you can return one to the shop or sell it here.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 13
HMM ... I seriously doubt the shop will allow me to exchange it back ... and further more , i only have an exact budget of $488 ~ :lol:

It seems that it boils down to the X5 and the D2 ... iPod is eliminated , because it is way too common ... :lol:

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 13
I think you should email the amplifier manufacturer you are planning to buy the amp from

ask them which dap works best with the amp. They have probably tested their amp with various dap's

If you are planning to buy one from Ray Samuels his email is below:

-rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com

I emailed him before I ordered my Tomahawk and he was most helpful.

btw

have you considered an imod?

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 13
I have considered it before , but the price simply puts me off ... as i had a 4G iPod , but the hard disk is demolished and the price for the HDD and the mod fee ... is enough to let me get 2 D2s ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back