Which one of these headphones to get?
Feb 7, 2010 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

xtenglong

Head-Fier
I am trying to get a new pair of headphones after losing my pair of MS-1's. I really liked how they sounded, so if anything I might just get another pair of them. I can't really specify what kind of music I usually listen to, since I pretty much listen to all kinds of genre. I am also going to be watching plenty of movies and be doing plenty of gaming (mostly WoW though. I have another pair for when I play FPS games). I'm also going to be using them a lot when I study, but it's fine if they leak since I usually study by myself. So far I'm looking at:
Sony MDR-V6
Alessandro MS-1
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD595
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH440

I'm mostly going to be using the headphones through my Macbook Pro, and sometimes on my Sansa Clip w/ E5 amp (quite possibly switching to the iPod Nano later this year). Are there any other suggestions for my uses? My budget is $200, although I'd much rather keep it around $100. I'd only get the HD595 if it is worth the extra money. I'm not going to be getting an amp for the moment, but probably will in the future.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 16
What about buying a new pair of MS1 and spend another $100 (++) on a DAC/AMP??

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 16
That could be an option, but I'd rather keep my money spending to a minimum since I have other things I'm going to need my money for this semester. Added the Shure's as another option too now.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to know if any of the other options listed would be better for my uses.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 16
Sennheiser HD428/438, I read the HD448 had a 'plasticky bass' with some tracks so no to the HD448. I'm burning in the HD428 and it is comparable to the V6, built cheaply though which I accept for the good SQ, 'neutrality' and well defined bass. I have a V6, If you want bass and analytical 'Sony sound' you have a winner. The V6 has a sound signature which doesn't always work for classical music and vocals. Otherwise you're on solid ground.

HD428, good and MDR V6 good too with more bass, lovely deep bass...

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to get a new pair of headphones after losing my pair of MS-1's. I really liked how they sounded, so if anything I might just get another pair of them. I can't really specify what kind of music I usually listen to, since I pretty much listen to all kinds of genre. I am also going to be watching plenty of movies and be doing plenty of gaming (mostly WoW though. I have another pair for when I play FPS games). I'm also going to be using them a lot when I study, but it's fine if they leak since I usually study by myself. So far I'm looking at:
Sony MDR-V6
Alessandro MS-1
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD595
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH440

I'm mostly going to be using the headphones through my Macbook Pro, and sometimes on my Sansa Clip w/ E5 amp (quite possibly switching to the iPod Nano later this year). Are there any other suggestions for my uses? My budget is $200, although I'd much rather keep it around $100. I'd only get the HD595 if it is worth the extra money. I'm not going to be getting an amp for the moment, but probably will in the future.

You don't want the HD555/595, they terminate wit ha 1/4" TRS.

Shure SRH-440 isn't bad, 840 is too bassy.

-Creative Aurvana !Live are a really good buy if you look around. (very balanced and detailed sound IMO)
-Denon AH-D1001
-Sennheiser PX100 are also awsome for ~50$
-Sennheiser HD280
-MS1

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 16
What do you mean by that the HD555/595 terminate with a 1/4" TRS?
Now I'm just trying to decide between the MS-1, SRH440, HD438 and HD280. I wish I could just try them all out right now =\...

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 16
I don't think you can beat the price for the MS1, it was kinda hard for me to depart those. I'd recommend a listen with the Shure cause I really like my SRH840, and I didn't find them too bassy for rock. HD280 doesn't sound like MS1 at all and I really doubt you'll like them.

1/4" TRS, they are the bigger plugs. (on the right)

644px-Photo-audiojacks.jpg

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 16
I had and still have the Creative Aurvana Live. The Aurvana Lives lack bass definition, especially with tracks which require deep and extended bass. The Sennheiser HD428 will replace the Aurvana Lives. Just play some Kyuss in FLAC and the bass problem becomes apperent.

The Aurvana Lives sound sweet though. Just for enjoying music that doesn't need well defined bass for pleasant listening they are fine. They look rather posh too and with a bit of luck your ears will fit. For electronic music, Pop, Jazz and Classic they are pretty good.

Some advice: audition the HD438, if you can live with the 'flashy styling' and the sound is too your liking for the money you want to spend, go for it. The HD438 needs some burn in I guess and can work great with an amplifier. The HD438 shouldn't be too expensive. My HD428 cost me 60 euros, not bad really.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 16
I don't really have any places where I can try these headphones out because I'm currently living on campus with no car, so I can't get around to any places. I'm now just down between MS-1i and HD438. I'd like to hear opinions on how the two would fit for my uses.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 16
don't go for hd595, please

from your list, I pick srh440

but I wanna add ATH-M50 to it

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimPrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from your list, I pick srh440

but I wanna add ATH-M50 to it

agreed

i really want to auditon the ath-m50 i see them going toe to toe with my beloved srh440 a lot. in the same sense, i'd like to try the srh840 along with a good amp for all >_>.

head-fi is slowly draining my wallet, one thread at a time T_T

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 16
My picks would also be the 440 or M50.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SRH-440 isn't bad, 840 is too bassy.

Too much bass? seriously? Mine sound very neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back