Which one is the best choice from this $100-mark headphones?
Nov 11, 2008 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Julia_B

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi Community. Been rounding different music and dj forums gathering recommendations for my first audiophile headphones which I intend to buy for my 22nd Birthday and just today I bumped into this community, which seems like the forum I should've crashed to in the first place.

As off the moment this are the headphones which I've seen garnering the best reviews from users and that fit inside my $100 dollar budget (I'm also including current list price for each one on Amazon):
  1. Sennheiser HD555 - $99
  2. Sennheiser HD280 - $82
  3. Grado SR80 -$95
  4. AudioTech AD700 - $105
  5. Beyerdynamic DT440 - $96
  6. AKG K240 - $99

A few considerations:

I intend to use this ones indoors. I need them mainly to listen to my vinyl collection but I also intend to use them on my computer and my mp3 player.

I suppose I'm eclectic when it comes to music taste.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 35
I personally am a huge fan of the ad700s, but to be honest, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the headphones you have listed.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 35
Coincidentally, I've seen HD555, SR80, AD700 and K240 as the phones people fight for the most in this price range and they're all listed as the best $100 open headphones on the 'Buyer's Guide' sticky on this forum. You can't imagine the hard time I've had making up my mind.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 35
Of that list...the SR80s, AD700s, and DT440s should stay, I think. Cull the rest. Oh and add Alessandro MS-1 ($99).

Edit: Deleted D1001. Saw that OP wanted open headphones.

Edit 2: Maybe cull the DT440s too, actually...

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 35
I've received many positive reviews on the MS1 in the past but since Amazon doesn't ship them it's a bit of a problem for me since I live overseas, so I have to scrap the recommendations for that one.

This is the first time someone recommends me the D1001 but if they keep getting the support from the head-fi community I'll definitely consider them on purchase, I'd rather go for open headphones, though.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Deleted D1001. Saw that OP wanted open headphones.

Worth noting that although they're closed, they don't isolate a sh!t.
tongue.gif

But they won't leak much though.

I believe they're a great option for the OP.

Only possible problem I can imagine, is with the vynils: some people think the Denons are a bit bright, but I don't really believe this will be a serious problem.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 35
Well so far you've all agreed on the AD700. I'll do a recount of votes each headphone listed receives in a few days, when hopefully, the thread receives more responses. I admit I find it very odd to see so much support for the AD700 in here when normally the Sennheiser's and Grado's are the ones receiving the most fervent support on the other forums I've visited and the AD700 go pretty much unnoticed. This completely changes everything for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much for the recommendations so far, I'm hitting the sack for today. Good night everyone.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 35
Welcome to Head Fi Julia B and sorry for your wallet.

Your music will help in a further narrowing. To know if you are more of a vocals person or a bass heavy person, etc.

Good luck in your quest.

HC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back