Which one is the best choice from this $100-mark headphones?
Nov 11, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #16 of 35
The Alessandro MS-1 ships from their website worldwide for $99 so unless you have to buy from amazon, Id still consider them.

Id say the MS-1 and AD700 are both great choices. The MS-1 is the most forward of the two making it the best for rock music. It has a small soundstage though but is still an ok allrounder. The AD700 is also forward sounding (though not as forward as the MS-1) and has a very large soundstage making it the better all rounder since it is forward enough for rock music but has great soundstage for games, movies, and classical/orchestral/jazz music. The amount of bass is source dependent though.

The HD555 are ok also but I wouldn't recommend them over the MS-1 or AD700.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head Fi Julia B and sorry for your wallet.

Your music will help in a further narrowing. To know if you are more of a vocals person or a bass heavy person, etc.

Good luck in your quest.

HC

Hey. Thank you.

It's not really a money problem, if I quit partying or buying vinyls for a month or two I could probably afford some better headphones. I just don't want to jump straight to the expensive audiophile headphones without passing through the cheaper ones, I want something to look forward to.

As I said before, I'm very eclectic when it comes to music taste, I have a collection of approximately 180 LPs (long story on how I got my hands on so many - most of them I inherited by my grandfather who worked in one of the biggest radio stations in Spain) and they cover a very extensive musical range. Someday I might buy different headphones to take the best listening experience from every record in my collection but for the moment I need some versatile headphones.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 35
Not quite sure... prolly I'm overall more inclined to bass than to vocals, it depends the music genre...

I suppose then I should consider D1001 for bass-biased and AD700 for vocal-biased.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 35
If listening to vinyl, I would want the HD555 because it is not very revealing at the top end. It does a good job at not exposing higher frequency flaws.

However, the HD555 would not be best if wanting bassier headphones. FWIR, the ATH-M50 would be good for this, but I suspect it would be too revealing of recording flaws for my taste.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Is true. I suppose it's all EQ-able and Fiio-ampable too.

EQ = distortion

Fiio'ed = bad synergy as the added bass isn't worth the 'replaced' soundstage.
With a bassy source, the AD700 has nice bass which is fast and punchy but lacks extension.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 35
Of what you have listed, I have the SR-80, AD700, and I'm listening to my K240 right now.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've also owned the Senn HD280, and have used the HD555.

the HD280 would be the best isolating headphone of the bunch. from there, thats about the only pro. IMO it doesnt have the sound quality of the others listed.

the HD555 is a comfortable, decent all-around can. IMO the AD700 does everything this one does just as well or better.

SR-80 is the hands down best for rock. They also (IMO) are more comfortable than most people say, I can wear them for hours.

K240 does not do rock too well IMO, but it is a comfortable, decent looking headphone that can handle anything i've thrown at it.

AD700 does everything the K240 does, but does it better. It's the most comfortable of the 3, though sometimes the pads can get a bit itchy. They actually do rock very well, have a great soundstage, and are great for gaming and movies as well.

IMO go for the SR-80 if you listen to a lot of rock, but go for the AD700 otherwise.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...IMO go for the SR-80 if you listen to a lot of rock, but go for the AD700 otherwise.

I agree with this.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #24 of 35
Wanted to let you guys know I've finally decided for the AD700 seeing they're the one that got the most enthusiatic support from the community. will arrive in a few days.

As I've said earlier I'll be using them on vinyls for the most part, yet it dawned on me later, I'll probably use them on the ipod every now and then as well since my former ipod earbuds are awful.

My question is, will this work fine on the ipod as well or should I start looking for some new earbuds? I saw some reviewer ponting out they will exhaust the battery of the ipod very quickly, I don't have any idea of how will they sound either, anyone care to enlighten me?

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #25 of 35
They will be ok with an ipod but it certainly isnt ideal. They will most likely have very weak bass output with an ipod though.

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia_B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well so far you've all agreed on the AD700. I'll do a recount of votes each headphone listed receives in a few days, when hopefully, the thread receives more responses. I admit I find it very odd to see so much support for the AD700 in here when normally the Sennheiser's and Grado's are the ones receiving the most fervent support on the other forums I've visited and the AD700 go pretty much unnoticed. This completely changes everything for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much for the recommendations so far, I'm hitting the sack for today. Good night everyone.

I really like the light feel of my Audio Technica ATH-AD500s on my head,
so go for the AD700s.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #28 of 35
Thanks for all the recommendations everybody. No need to keep throwing recommendations, that is unless you want to persuade future readers that might bump into the thread. As I said I went for the ad700 after all the support and love they got over here.

I promised a vote recount so here goes:

AD700 - 8 head-fi recommendations
SR80 - 4 head-fi recommendations
ALESSANDRO MS-1 - 4 head-fi recommendations
D1001 - 2 head-fi recommendations
ATH-M50 - 2 head-fi recommendations
HD555 - 2 head-fi recommendations

Not much love for the sennheisers. I have to say I am very surprised, this were the headphones I was originally going for, pretty much because they were the best looking of the bunch and many people kept recommending them. Will let you all know how I feel about my AD700 when they arrive, hope they're not that big, us girls have smaller heads. :p

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #30 of 35
I have a pair of AD700s and they are great for everything except bass heavy music, like rap some techno and some of the electronic centric rock bands. the phones sound great, but just dont have any bass, its there but very weak with no impact IMO, also I may just be a basshead. im in the process right now of trying to aquire some dt770 pros to staisfy my bass cravings
ksc75smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif
, but will be keeping the ad700s.

yes they will fit loose, it aggravated the hell out of me at first, I just kept mashing top bars, dont worry they wont break, they fit god not, or also I may just be used to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back