Which one is better ? Marantz 5400 or NAD C521BEE?
Mar 30, 2004 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone ever tried both ot one of these players ?

I would like to know the difference in terms of performance of these two...
I know that NAD is an excellent player for the money, but the downside is there is no headphone out, and i need a headphone out now, since im not getting an amp anytime soon.

If the Marantz 5400 can perform more or less equally (or better?) than NAD C521BEE, i would get the marantz instead... price wise, there is not much difference here...
ANyone owns that Marantz unit and have something to share with me ?

Thanks a lot guys.

DJ_mocok.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 9
All the classrooms in the music building at my school uses these marantz units, I think. They sound ok...I couldn't complain about much. Bass might be a bit muddy, not sure if it was the speakers (KEF unknown models and Paradigm studio 20's.)

Edit: Oh yeah, the speakers were mounted near the corners of the room, so that could be another reason why the bass and male voices were muddy.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
(KEF unknown models and Paradigm studio 20's.)

Interestingly, only British and Canadian speakers in a music building of an American shool.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, that's what they use in the classrooms. Not what we use in the studios
wink.gif

Though, I don't remember what we use in the studios, but they're not kef or paradigm
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Maybe Genelecs or M&K's ooheadsoo?

About the Marantz vs. NAD thread question, I haven't heard any of them, but here some info that might be helpful. Have here right next to me copies of very recent issues of WhatHiFi and HiFiChoice.

In WhatHiFi both players were ranked with 5 starts, the NAD having the supertest winner golden stars.

But on HiFiChoice, the NAD had a pretty negative review. Overall score was 78%, but in category "sound" the score was 71%, the lowest next to build, features, and value. It seems this mag hasn't reviewed the Marantz 5400. The 6000 MkSig is in their CD Players Bible Guide, with a BestBuy tag (for 500 Brit pounds).

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 9
They weren't current generation genelecs or dyn's. There are at least 3 sets, so I really don't remember. One of them is mounted out of reach too so I never did see that one clearly.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Does it resemble a large black object in the shape of a gold brick?

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Marantz headphone outs are on the bright side. I haven't heard a NAD CDP in awhile, so I can't compare. Marantz HP out is thin on bass and bright. It does sound ok in the midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back