Which one is better DH1 or DH2.
Jun 18, 2004 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
This thread is for talking about which DH setting is being used the most.

EVERYTIME I SHUT OFF MY MACHINE THE SETTING IS ALWAYS AT DH2, SO THIS MUST BE THE ULTIMATE SETTING.

I sit up on bed in a room 11.5 by 12 feet.

The two formats seem to out whit each other but when it comes to depth DH2 seems to win over, seems to open up more seperation of the right and left channels, DH1 seems to flat it seems. In DH1 the voice seem more closer to the Tv, but in DH2 the voices are a little closer to the head. It seems to me that DH 2 puts you closer to the action which might explain why at first voices seem a bit close.

How many of you use DH2 for your home theater listening.

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 6
I think it's a matter of taste, really. I started out with DH2, but switched to DH1 because I just wanted to hear the effects of surround sound--not the effects of the surround sound in a "live" room.

According to Dolby Headphones site it appears that DH1 is the default setting.

Quote:

"DH1 is a small, well-damped room appropriate for both movies and music-only recordings.
It is the Dolby Headphone "Reference Room" and is provided on all products equipped with Dolby Headphone.
DH2 is a more acoustically live (or "wet") room particularly suited to music listening, but also great for movies.
DH3 is a larger room, more like a concert hall or movie theater."

Your post got me to thinking that I'll try DH2 (and probably DH3) on my next couple of movies to see how I feel about them now since I've had my unit for awhile now.

Jun 19, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames
What volume setting do you use?

I haven't really used my Pioneer DIR800C unit all that much. (It's in my bedroom and I've been on vacation for a couple of months so I tend to stay up late to watch movies in my entertainment room. In my entertainment room I've been using my Denon D-M71DVS (which has Dolby Headphone) and a pair of wired headphones. I know--too much information...)

Anyway, I crank the Pioneer headphones up pretty much all the way and the base unit somewhere around the 3/4ths mark

Jun 20, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Edit

I guess I'm wrong and my dvd for X-files wasn't switched to the right 5.1 settings that's what the real problem was. Oops.

However DH1 and DH2 do have a similiar relationship in that they both cater to different perspective of the viewer from the screen.

DH2 is more further away from the screen.

DH1 is bit more closer to the screen.

Jul 11, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Anyhow it seems as though DH2 seems to bring front imaging into focuss while DH1 bring it closer to the screen but more out of focuss. Front and back imaging for subtle sounds can be heard much clearer in DH2 than DH1. However it's the room which dictates how well DH2 works. I can imagine for those people using a much smaller room, say 7ft X 9ft DH1 would be just right. I think the setting depends on how close one is sitting into the room or how far back they are sitting. like a person sitting 5-3 feet from the front wall
or
5-20 feet away.

Their will be a different acoustical echo for the two perspectives.

In terms, of my POV or listening position

With DH2 the speakers seems to re-appear with a realistic presence of echo you can perceive around the speakers.

With DH1 the echo seems flat and lifeless, more 2 dimensional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back