Which of these home-based CD Players should I get?
Sep 14, 2002 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21
Ok, I've done a bit of research, but not a whole lot. I want a home-based CD Player, but for $225-$300 Cdn. maximum. That works out to be about $175-$200 in US dollars... Buying over the internet isn't an option for me. Neither is buying in the US...... Canada only.... Oh well.

After a little bit of consideration, Sony CD Players seem to be my best choice. I've read good reviews of the DVP-NS500V, and was pretty much sold on it. Then I started considering my options in the Sony lineup. Audio is my main priority, but a few features would be very useful too.

I do not need SACD. It's completely useless to me.

DVD would be nice, as would MP3 compatibility. Neither one is necessary, though.

Here is my list so far:

***DVP-NS500V - CD, DVD, SACD (single disc) [$248 CDN/$157 US]
***SCD-CE775 - CD, SACD (5 disc) [$250 CDN/$158 US]
***DVP-NS315 - CD, DVD, MP3 (single disc)
***DVP-NS415 - CD, DVD, MP3 (single disc)
***DVP-NC615 - CD, DVD, MP3 (5 disc)
DVP-NS715 - CD, DVD, MP3 (single disc)
DVP-NS755V - CD, DVD, SACD, MP3 (single disc)
DVP-NC655 - CD, DVD, MP3 (5 disc)

The *** indicates that the CDP is easy to get at a good price for me.

Basically, what I was hoping you fellow head-fiers might be able to help me with is:

Do any of you have any suggestions as to if there are any items on the current list that I should avoid? Are there any other CDP's under $300 CDN [$175/$200 US] that I should add to the list?

I do not intend to go over the budget, and there's no way you can make me, so don't even try. (I know how you guys are.
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Can anyone here give me any thoughts of sound quality of any of the CDP's listed?

Sorry about the rambling, and the many, many questions, but as I said, I haven't done too much research.

Thanks Head-fier's.

[edit: My budget is $225-$300 CDN maximum ---- about $150-$200 US. I can't spend any more than that, nor do I want to. I'm only 16 years old.]
-Modena

Sep 14, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 21
Not sure if this is in your price range, but after reading many positive reviews I would seriously consider the Marantz CC3000. You can read about it yourself online at www.audioreview.com and see what others had to say about its bang for the buck value.
My sony DVD player's CD performance is only so-so, although I recognize that there are others that are quite good. (The model I have is the DVP-C660.)
What is your price range for a new player? That will eliminate a lot of choices and help narrow the field down a bit.

Que Dios te Bendiga,

doug

Sep 14, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 21
The CE775 will be the best of the bunch. Its internals are identical to the 222ES, save for the omission of a second power transformer. The DAC, output stage, and power supply are vastly superior to the DVP-NS500V. As far as modding goes, the 775 also has more potential. Users on the 'Asylum are making some outrageous claims to performance after some relatively inexpensive aftermarket modifications.

Quote:

Buying over the internet isn't an option for me. Neither is buying in the US...... Canada only.... Oh well.

Why? Find seller on Audiogon or Canuck Audio Mart who accepts money orders if you don't have a credit card - don't limit your options.

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 21
The DVP-NS315 and NS415 reputedly do not sound as good as the NS500V. The DVP-NS615V is the five-disc version of this line up and sounds similar.

For what it's worth, I'm planning on buying a new source in a the next couple of weeks. I'm considering three or four CD players, and my price range is near yours. I'm looking at the Sony DVP-NS500V (lowest price: ~$140 online) and its deriviatives, the new progressive scan version, the DVP-NS755V (lowest price: ~$225 online), and the old five-disc version, the DVP-NC650V (lowest price: ~$235 online). All of these are also DVDPs and SACDPs, so that's a nice bonus. The NS755V also plays MP3s.

I'm also looking at the Denon DCM-370 (lowest price: ~$200 online), which has HDCD compatibily but lacks DVD and SACD. I've heard lots of good things about this player and also a couple NADs, but I really think Sony produces the best low-end, good-sounding players, so I'll probably go with one of those. You also get the five-free-DVDs (a couple of which are actually worth owning) offer with them.

Take a look at these threads:
  1. sony dvp-NC650V vs. NS500V? (started by isotope240)
  2. Sony NS500V replacement = NS755V (started by Vertigo-1)
My real goal is to find a nice used Helios Model 1. ...

Good luck, and let me know what you decide on.

kerelybonto

Sep 14, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 21
How does the SCD-CE775 compare to to the DVP-NS500V? And is the SCD-CE775 really only US $158?!? Also does the SCD-CD775 have a linear PSU or is it switching?

Thanks.

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Not sure if this is in your price range, but after reading many positive reviews I would seriously consider the Marantz CC3000.

It looks to be out of my price range, unfortunately, but if I happen to find it for a price within my range, I'll definitely consider it.

Quote:

The CE775 will be the best of the bunch. Its internals are identical to the 222ES, save for the omission of a second power transformer.

I'm assuming the 222ES sounds good?

Quote:

The DAC, output stage, and power supply are vastly superior to the DVP-NS500V.

Good to know.
Quote:

As far as modding goes, the 775 also has more potential. Users on the 'Asylum are making some outrageous claims to performance after some relatively inexpensive aftermarket modifications.

Uh oh. No, no mods for me. Not at this point in my life. I have a budget, and a tight one at that. Mods are just upgraditis, something that I could verrrry easily fall into.
....Must resist.... Quote:

Quote:

Buying over the internet isn't an option for me. Neither is buying in the US...... Canada only.... Oh well.

Why? Find seller on Audiogon or Canuck Audio Mart who accepts money orders if you don't have a credit card - don't limit your options.

You're right about limiting my options. Unfortunately my parents feel very uneasy about buying electronics (or anything, really) over the internet. They want me to buy a *new* CD player at a brick & mortar store. Personally I'm ok with that, given my options within those limits are pretty decent. Quote:

The DVP-NS315 and NS415 reputedly do not sound as good as the NS500V.

I didn't think they would. Is there a big difference in sound quality between the 415 and the 500? I'll do some research on that... Quote:

The DVP-NS615V is the five-disc version of this line up and sounds similar.

Similar to the 500, or to the 415? Quote:

For what it's worth, I'm planning on buying a new source in a the next couple of weeks. I'm considering three or four CD players, and my price range is near yours. I'm looking at the Sony DVP-NS500V (lowest price: ~$140 online) and its deriviatives, the new progressive scan version, the DVP-NS755V (lowest price: ~$225 online), and the old five-disc version, the DVP-NC650V (lowest price: ~$235 online). All of these are also DVDPs and SACDPs, so that's a nice bonus. The NS755V also plays MP3s.

Let me know how your purchase goes and which CDP you end up with.
The NS755V seems perfect aside from the price. I don't know if I can stretch that far. It has everything though. Any feedback on the sound quality?
Quote:

You also get the five-free-DVDs (a couple of which are actually worth owning) offer with them.

Hehe, nice. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon would definitely be worth owning imo.
Quote:

And is the SCD-CE775 really only US $158?!?

Yes, it's $250 in Canadian Dollars at all of the Sony Store's in my city. When I converted it to US dollars it was about $158 US using www.xe.net/ucc

Sep 15, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

How does the SCD-CE775 compare to to the DVP-NS500V?

I spoke with Mathew Anker, as he is performing professional
mods to both of these players, and he's very adamant about the superiority of the 775 from an audio standpoint. The 775 shares much in common with players higher up Sony's chain, incuding that Burr Brown 96khz capable DAC (same as 222 and 555ES), the transport (identical to 222 and 555), output stage (222ES), power supply (minus the additional transformer of course, but Mathew can drop one in there), while the NS500V is distinguished by its AKM DAC, switching power supply, flimsy transport, and a mess of an output stage.

With a few tweaks you will essentially end up with a hot rodded 555ES in a less substantial chassis.

Info abound on www.audioasylum.com, www.harmonicdiscord.com, and Mathew's www.sacdmods.com

Quote:

Also does the SCD-CD775 have a linear PSU or is it switching?

It's linear.

Sep 15, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
The 775 shares much in common with players higher up Sony's chain, incuding that Burr Brown 96khz capable DAC ... while the NS500V is distinguished by its AKM DAC...

This is precisely why they sound so different.

The AKM DAC is also used in the highly-regarded ART DI/O, which some people really, really like. Can't beat the ART DI/O for reputation. It's detailed and perhaps a little aggressive.

On the other hand, Burr Brown DACs are smooth and laid back.

Depends what sound you like. Try to audition both. I heard both and decided to go with the NS500V because its character matches the kind of vintage tube gear I'm into. Believe me, with good tube gear, the brittle highs associated with a switching power supply are absent. Personally, I feel that the 500V would be a good match with the Sennheiser HD600 headphones, whereas the 775 would be a good match with Grados.

Sep 15, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 21
id suggest you save a little more money and look out for a rotel 975 or 971 used. Also look out for a pioneer pd-65, or one of the older sony x7(xxx) series. these will cost you from around $300-$400 max but in this price range, some of the best players you can buy. A lot of people prefer the older x series cdp's (made during the prosperous "bubble" economic period in Japan) to the xa7es (statement player with puck...) as although the xa7es has a tad more detail, the bubble players have a more meaty presentation, being smoother and having a stronger bottom end.
The transport is the same one used on accuphase 65, and 75 (not sure about the 85) players.

just my $.02

k.s.

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

I'm assuming the 222ES sounds good?

yes, the sony 222es is part of Sony's ES line, which has their top-end products. The 333es, and now, the 222es(the successor of the 333), are considered to be incredible cdp for their price(Around $400, iirc).

Quote:

Uh oh. No, no mods for me. Not at this point in my life. I have a budget, and a tight one at that. Mods are just upgraditis, something that I could verrrry easily fall into.

But some mods are just so easy and quick. . . taking the headphone out on my denon took no more than 10 minutes, no soldering, and the gain was noticeable immediatly!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

You're right about limiting my options. Unfortunately my parents feel very uneasy about buying electronics (or anything, really) over the internet. They want me to buy a *new* CD player at a brick & mortar store. Personally I'm ok with that, given my options within those limits are pretty decent.

I'm sure many here understand your parent's qualms, although remind them that you can save some money going the online route. . .

Quote:

Similar to the 500, or to the 415?

The new 615 is very similar to the 500v. Basically, the 615 is the 5 disc version of the 500. Practically identical performance, from what a member said here. Have to say, once you have a changer. . .
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Yes, it's $250 in Canadian Dollars at all of the Sony Store's in my city. When I converted it to US dollars it was about $158 US using www.xe.net/ucc

I think you have a winner with that 775!

Sep 15, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 21
From what reviews I have read on Audio asylum the Sony DVP-NS500V and SCD-CE775 are very good at there price point.
BUT, I think you should listen an pick the one that sounds right. Don't buy a CDP just because everyone says its the hot sound, use your ears you know best what you like.
Perhaps you could buy an older used quality CDP or DVDP now and then later buy a nice DAC?

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 21
I had the Sony DVP-NS500V and just didn’t like the ergonomics. The buttons are small. It wasn’t really made to be used as a stand-alone CD player. You need to hook it up to a TV to make adjustments to some settings, output level and filters. You can pilot the space shuttle with the remote but only 4 or 5 of the 100 buttons have anything to do with the CD playback. Just something to consider.

For the $1 difference the 775 seems like a bargain.

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 21
Andrezjpw, from what I understand, the NS615V is the five-disc version of the other -15 class players, not the NS500V. The five-disc version of the NS500V is the NC650V. (Note carefully that's it's NC, not NS. Not sure why.)

sapphiremodena, I'll let you know what I decide on. Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to do much auditioning, though, so my opinion won't have much context.

kerelybonto

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 21
The Sony ce775 would probably be your best bet, especially at the price you mentioned. I just bought the NS500v and I think it sounds great, but I am thinking of returning it and buying either a 775 or Denon 370, because I want a changer. Also on the NC and NS thing I have been wondering about that too, and the only thing I can think of is the S stands for single and the C for changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back