Which of these flac files should I keep?
May 31, 2020 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RSC08

100+ Head-Fier
02 - The Sweetest Taboo.flac.png

OR

2 Sade - The Sweetest Taboo.flac.png

May 31, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 5
From a general perspective, it's always better to safeguard the closest to the original recording file you can. It depends on your commitment to HiRes too. There is implications to doing so as well you need to ask yourself if you have not already but since you aren't new here, I am pretty sure you did already. In case not or for those who are new:

- Can you hear a difference?
- Do you have the disk space to manage a large inconvenient version and a regular convenient version?
- Was the HiRes version actually originally HiRes or just upsampled?
- Is your gear capable of 24/192 FLAC replay? Likely so but just in case.

I guess it really depends how you feel about it. For my part, I'm seriously thinking of stopping buying anything higher than 24/48 even though I rarely did so to begin with.

May 31, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Obvious something is generating a rather substantial amount of noise at approx 58 kHz.
Personally I won't have these artifacts in my system.
Down-sampe to 96 kHz to get rid of it.
It's not noise, it mirrors the content below. I'd say it was originally some 88kHz content(where the mirroring seems to occur).
I've seen a bunch of similar files and kept wondering if it wasn't voluntary, to fool automated programs into validating the files at higher resolution than they really are?

But I agree with converting this at 88 or 96kHz to get rid of the extra crap. or just to convert it to 44.1 if like me he doesn't really care about ultrasounds.
@RSC08 I'm deleting the same thread in Sound Science, please avoid doing that in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back