which mp3 player should i buy? (non-ipod)
Jul 17, 2005 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nsahoo

New Head-Fier
i have been looking at around 5gb players. dell pocket dj is one option. Rio carbon is another. I like the Creative zen micro for its replaceable battery.

Any particular suggestion in <$200 budget and >1gb players?

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 22
The Rio Carbon is pretty hard to beat for the price: cheaper than the other mini players, 20-hour battery life, good UI, good sound

Jul 17, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 22
Zen Micro - has removable battery and the sound quality is excellent, even better if you have a good pair of headphones and know how to tweak the EQ

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 22
The Rio carbon has a very delicate wheel that breaks at the sligthest impact -- according to amazon reviewers. but, it has probably the coolest look. h10 and creative micro look good. h10 has a SNR of 90DB vs micro has a SNR of upto 98DB. That would be a plus I think. In addition to that micro is cheaper. But, I must agree, on the photo, both look awful.
eek.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
Zen Micro - has removable battery and the sound quality is excellent, even better if you have a good pair of headphones and know how to tweak the EQ

does it have equalizer bands or just presets? like vocal, classical .. etc.

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 22
It has 8 presets as well as a 5 band customisable EQ.

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 22
I just snagged a new RCA rd2765 5GB off ebay for $115 shipping included. They usually go for around $100-$150 which is hard to pass up.

I love the customizable navigation menu. If you don't need genre, year, DJ, etc. just hide them. I plan to use only Artists/Tracks/Playlists and Folders and I will hide the others unless the lyra DJ program generates good playlists.

It has excellent playlisting capabilities, decent color screen for jpegs and album covers, group(set) skipping, and near gapless MP3 playback. It has an ipod-like interface (spinning wheel with a joystick in the middle) which is convenient. It has FLAT/BASS/ROCK/POP/JAZZ plus 5-band custom EQ.

It is quite small 85mm X 50mm X 15mm and 80 grams.

The battery is non-removable though with similar battery life to the H10.

I just won the auction so I can't say how good it sounds to my own ears yet but it is supposed to sound very good.

At that price, it is worth considering. I'll know more when I get a hold of it hopefully in a couple of days!

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 22
IMO, the iRiver H10 is the best 5gb player right now. The removable battery is awesome and the SQ is great. There is also a 5 band EQ.

Jul 18, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 22
For my two-penneth worth. Get to Amazon, buy a Sony NW-HD3. Going cheap, due to the NW-HD5 being available, long battery life, slim design, reasonable sound. Sonicstage works, and the whole package just does the basics really well.
600smile.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 22

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsahoo
h10 and creative micro look good. h10 has a SNR of 90DB vs micro has a SNR of upto 98DB. That would be a plus I think. In addition to that micro is cheaper. But, I must agree, on the photo, both look awful.
eek.gif

What does that mean? (the higher the SNR, the better?) why?

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse
What does that mean? (the higher the SNR, the better?) why?

SNR = Signal-to-Noise Ratio

Basically, the higher the SNR, the cleaner the sound will be (lower noise, background, hiss, whatever you want to call it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back