Which microphone with open headphones?
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Xickle

New Head-Fier
I want to buy the Hifiman He-400, which are open headphones, but want to use them for gaming while also chatting on skype. Is there a microphone out there that will ignore the sound leakage and only pick up my voice when I talk? 

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 59
Assuming you have a highish budget I've heard good things about the Blue Yeti mics with a filter on it. I don't own one but I used it briefly at a friend's house and it was pretty cool.

I have tried things like Neewer clip-on mics and ****ty logitech desktops and nothing really had the quality I wanted while playing games. Sure, they don't sound ****ty if I actively hold them, but I can't really be doing that all the time.

Right now I'm just using an old gaming headset around my neck with my headphones.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 59
  Assuming you have a highish budget I've heard good things about the Blue Yeti mics with a filter on it. I don't own one but I used it briefly at a friend's house and it was pretty cool.

I have tried things like Neewer clip-on mics and ****ty logitech desktops and nothing really had the quality I wanted while playing games. Sure, they don't sound ****ty if I actively hold them, but I can't really be doing that all the time.

Right now I'm just using an old gaming headset around my neck with my headphones.

I have considered getting the Blue Yeti, but I'm looking for any cheaper alternatives, as I will use the mic for talking over skype. I will not be doing any quality commentary for the public, and such a mic would be a bit too much for my intentions.

I saw a cool mod for mounting a mic boom on the headphones(for DT770, but a good idea) here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/195242/the-ultimate-gaming-headset-beyerdynamic-dt-770-microphone-mod so hopefully there's a good quality boom out there that won't pick up the sound from open headphones.

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 59

Theres also this on from Beyerdynamic. I use it with AKG K702s, the quality is great:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71111_Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-Headset-Gear-Detachable-Gooseneck-Microphone.html

Yeah I really like it too, but the headphones I'm interested in don't have detachable cables, so I wouldn't be able to use it, unless there's something I can get to plug the end part into. I kinda like how this guy does it: http://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H. 

I've also looked at the modmic, but I'd rather have something I can also get on Amazon, so I don't have to pay for two shippings, as I live over the ocean.

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 59
I ordered the 2.3 mod mic about a week ago. Should have it end of the month according to his blog post a couple days ago. I'll be using them with DT990's. Hopefully them being open won't make the mod mic pic up on the noise. Using them on Xbox One. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 59
I don't know how soon you need a microphone, but as mentioned before there's AntLion's ModMics. I'm not a big fan of their current selection the 2.3 and the 3.0 because of how flimsy the thin cabling seems. Apparently it's easy to break the boom mic if you bend it too far. But their original modmic and their 2.0 had the perfect cable imo. So I'm really looking forward to the 4.0 modmic which is currently in production and should be available around late February/January. The 4.0 should be much similar to the 1.0 and 2.0 in terms of body, but much better build quality and better compatibility with hardware.

More information about the 4.0:
http://www.modmic.com/blogs/news/11157241-major-4-0-update-stock-info-bitcoin-accepted-now-uservoice-tool-added

Just read the apart about you wanting to be able to get it over Amazon as you live somewhere over the ocean. In the link above then mention getting their products back on Amazon and they'll probably be able to do international shipping first.

Just to hold myself out until then I use my old Razer Carcharias headset's microphone by having it sit on top of a flashlight on my desk. I used to just keep it around my neck, but that got tiring real fast.

Edit: I messed up and essentially double posted. Hopefully a moderator can delete this post as it wasn't tended to be a double post.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 59
I don't know how soon you want/need a microphone, but as mentioned already in this thread AntLion's ModMics are definitely an option. I'm not a big fan of their current selection being the 2.3 and 3.0 modmics, as they have a thinner wire which is more prone to kinking and breaking. But they currently have the 4.0 in development and soon to be in production, which should start shipping around late February to early March. The 4.0 will be more similar to the 1.0 and 2.0's which had a bigger OD so they were infinitely more bendable than what they currently offer. There's more information on the AntLion in their blog selection about it. Also you showed favoritism towards items being on Amazon as you live somewhere overseas. In their latest blog post AntLion mentions getting back on Amazon and will be likely to be able to do international shipping first.

Just to hold myself out for the 4.0's, I use my Razer Carcharis headset's microphone. I have it resting on top of a flashlight on my desk with the mic sticking out and while it's not the most aesthetically pleasing it functions well. I used to keep it around my desk as I used different headphones, but that got annoying pretty fast.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 59
  I don't know how soon you want/need a microphone, but as mentioned already in this thread AntLion's ModMics are definitely an option. I'm not a big fan of their current selection being the 2.3 and 3.0 modmics, as they have a thinner wire which is more prone to kinking and breaking. But they currently have the 4.0 in development and soon to be in production, which should start shipping around late February to early March. The 4.0 will be more similar to the 1.0 and 2.0's which had a bigger OD so they were infinitely more bendable than what they currently offer. There's more information on the AntLion in their blog selection about it. Also you showed favoritism towards items being on Amazon as you live somewhere overseas. In their latest blog post AntLion mentions getting back on Amazon and will be likely to be able to do international shipping first.

Just to hold myself out for the 4.0's, I use my Razer Carcharis headset's microphone. I have it resting on top of a flashlight on my desk with the mic sticking out and while it's not the most aesthetically pleasing it functions well. I used to keep it around my desk as I used different headphones, but that got annoying pretty fast.

This is almost exactly my life right now.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 59
I'm trying to use a pair of PSB M4U2 headphones with my Xbox One/PS4.  I have the Turtle Beach Seven adapter and I've been able to get sound out of the headphones but when i use the chat from the PSB mic cable its ultra sensative to noise when it moves around hence why I'm in search of a "boom mic" solution. 

I've looked that the ModMic but I don't understand how this would work? Do i get a Y Cable to join the headphones and the boom mic together so I can input that to the Amp?

I guess I'm looking for some kind of direction.....maybe I just confused everyone in here. Who knows. 

May 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #15 of 59
I was using Logitech G930's but since I got my Blue Snowball mic, I've been looking for some actual headphones. Currently wearing Sony MDRRF985RK's that I got yesterday. They were a mistake. Really bad sound quality and terrible range. Currently looking into Sennheiser RS 170 or RS 180.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back