Which Little Dot for Sennheiser HD595?
Oct 29, 2008 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

taz

New Head-Fier
The Little Dot amps seem a bargain at the moment. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD595 headphones and want to drive them using a valve-based head amp. I listen mainly to jazz, smooth jazz and jazz-fusion. I'm looking for a warm, creamy sound with good attack on bass notes, a wide soundstage and a high level of detail and clarity.

So, which of the Little Dot amps can provide the sound that I am looking for? Or should I seek an alternative headphone amp? My budget is up to 300 USD.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 9
HD595s are a bit different than my HD580s, but I just got an MKIII today and absolutely loved it on jazz. I popped in some Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out and refused to switch cds until it was done. The sax was lifelike, the bass was full with a decent kick (HD580s don't have the punchiest bass anyways though), the piano was clear and penetrating, and man the drums were great, probably the thing I liked best on that cd. The soundstage was big, too big for the pop albums I tried later.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 9
^ Sounds good! I'll be using lossless audio from an iPod as the source. I already have a valve amplifier for my main room that is fed via an iPod dock and the sound is truly mesmerising. The thunderous highs are just so incredibly addictive and I want to recreate the same type of sound for a smaller room where I cannot justify a full-blown amp so will listen via headphones.

I'm not after overpowering bass but do like sound that 'hits' you with a very fast attack on strings, for example.

But much more than that, I like a sound that bathes you in a creamy lather!

I've definitely got the valve bug and love the warm sound.

I shall look into a MKIII. What is the delivery like (i'm in the UK). I'm usually quite wary of ordering from an international supplier but these little amps seem to be held in high regard.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm listening to a bit of Wynton Marsalis on my 1 week old MkIII with HD650...fabulous!, and I don't really like Jazz. But it sounds so good, I'm enjoying it.

Shipping to Los Angeles took 6 days, so I'd guess double that for UK.

I wouldn't worry about the customer service aspect. David ZheZhe is held in high regard, and his communication through my sale and shipping was great.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by taz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Sounds good! I'll be using lossless audio from an iPod as the source. I already have a valve amplifier for my main room that is fed via an iPod dock and the sound is truly mesmerising. The thunderous highs are just so incredibly addictive and I want to recreate the same type of sound for a smaller room where I cannot justify a full-blown amp so will listen via headphones.

I'm not after overpowering bass but do like sound that 'hits' you with a very fast attack on strings, for example.

But much more than that, I like a sound that bathes you in a creamy lather!

I've definitely got the valve bug and love the warm sound.

I shall look into a MKIII. What is the delivery like (i'm in the UK). I'm usually quite wary of ordering from an international supplier but these little amps seem to be held in high regard.

I live in the US. My paypal e-check cleared with Little Dot on 10/24 and I received my amp (that shipped from China 10/24) yesterday the 28th. They are good people.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 9
Now I have a dilemma! A voltage dilemma. If I order a Little Dot head amp I have to specify what my country's voltage is.

Here in the UK we have a nominal voltage of 230 volts (it changed from 240 volts a few years ago).

The ordering process doesn't have a 230 volt option. The nearest is 220V or 240V - either should work but as the MKIII is a valve amp, I don't want to take any risks. Should I specify 240V?

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 9
I would post on their forum at Little-Tube or email them to see what they suggest.

some bonus info:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidZheZhe
Earlier this year we took on a concerted effort to improve our QC system, and it has really begun paying off. I thought it would be interesting to post our incident rate on a few models (not all models have numbers crunched yet) for this year. According to Consumer Reports, consumer electronics in general have about a 15% defect rate.

These numbers include all reported incidents for the amplifier itself, from scratches on the case to DOAs, shipping issues or QC.

Little Dot I+: 1.8%

Little Dot MK II: 3%

Little Dot MK III: 4.6%

Little Dot MK V: 4.4%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back