Which is the better buy? The Sennheiser HD 6XX (HD 650) or the Fostex Th-X00?
Jul 25, 2017 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TyTB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

My question is as it appears in the title. I have thoroughly reviewed both of the headphones being offered by Massdrop, the HD 6XX for 199.99, and the Fostex Th-X00 for 399.99, and the reviews for both are glowing.

Actually, the reviews of both headphones are so good and use such fanciful language that for all intents and purposes, they're interchangeable. That's the problem.

I'm hoping to get some opinions and feedback from people who own one or both headphones, and can speak to their strengths, differences, and which is the better buy for me.

Some extra info: I prefer mids and trebles over bass, as I love to hear the twang of a guitar, the whine of a violin, a singers voice, etc. That being said, I listen to ALL genres of music, and like to use headphones while gaming.

Perhaps most importantly, I have a MASSIVE head with ears that stick out very far, and touch the drivers of virtually every headphone ever. I tried on the 650s today at a store and my ears just touched... It's not something that I find comfortable at all, but there's not much I can do about it. Only the HD 599s with their tilted drivers gave my ears enough space to be just barely touching.

The headphones would be for indoor use only, in my own room, where the only noise is ambient computer fan noise (which can admittedly get rather loud) and a ceiling fan.

I will (eventually) be pairing the headphones I get with a Bifrost DAC and Lyr tube amp from Schiit, and that will be my permanent setup for the foreseeable future.

Any help is appreciated, thank you all for your comments!

-Ty

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 3
One thing you can do is listen to sound samples of both on youtube. Not as good as actually listening to both in real life, but if you have a decent set of phones now you can get a good idea of the differences. The th-x00 focus on the lows and highs where the hd650 are more mid centric.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 3
To be honest, I don't think that my current headphones are good enough that I'd be able to hear a difference, but I will check these videos out nonetheless. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back