Which is the best final fantasy?
Jun 5, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #16 of 34
No question, it's IV. It's the only one (besides X) that I will go and play again, because it's that good.

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Yup - i can defeat all of them pretty easily! You get some nice prizes too lol

You're the first one to say these weapons were easy.
biggrin.gif

I spent a hell lot of time trying to defeat the weapons, especially the persistent green one, but in the end I did pretty much the same thing as you (mimic, knights round, final attack, revive, mp recovery) although Cloud's limit attack did a bit more damage and you didn't have to wait through the whole knights sequence. The prize for the red one is a bit worthless though.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Why all the animosity towards VIII? Admittedly the junction system wasn't the best, but as a whole I still loved the game.

I don't think there is any. 8 was a good game, no doubt, but I guess overall it just lacked something that kept it from being one of best of the series. i played it part way, and my cousin beat it, he said it was quite forgettable.

Man, I wish they'd make a sequel or remake of 6 utilitizing the ps2/3, that'd be killer.

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 34
Sheesh, seems like most of ya'll have only played the newer ones. How sad.
evil_smiley.gif
(OK, probably I'm the one who's pathetic.)

In order of which are the BEST games: (I have not played X)
6, 7, 4, 9, (5 , 1), (2 , 3), 8.

All of them are good games except for 8, though some of them were too easy (2), not all that much fun (3), little plot (1), etc.

In order of which are my favorite/replay-value:
4, 6, 1, 7, 5, 9, 3, 2, 8.

There is just something about 4 that lets me play it over and over again. 6 is definately a better game, but for some reason it's not the first one I reach for whenever I decide it's time for some good ol' Final Fantasy.

And yeah, I really need to pick up X. I just feel terrible about not having played that one, since I've beaten all the others (3 & 5 long before they came out in America... 3 still hasn't).

Of course, everybody knows that 6 has the best music of any videogame ever.
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #22 of 34
7 - probably the best overall. The story definitely still ranks up there and I'm waiting anxiously for Advent Children. I love this battle system the best. The music was also excellent, even though it was midi.

8 - the best stylistically. It just looks pretty and I really liked some of the character designs. The game play wasn't as strong as 7, but it still holds its own in my opinion.

9 - it was a good game, but it didn't really appeal to me, mostly because I found Zidane to be really annoying.

10 - the lack of world map really got to me. The Sphere Grid was overwhelming for me since I like to max everything out.
tongue.gif

10-2 - the only game that I didn't at least attempt to finish. The percent complete drove me up the wall since in the US version they didn't show the crucial decimal places. I didn't get very far with it, since I thought that it was a travesty. I really enjoyed the pseudo-turn-based battle system though.

The only pre-PSX FF I've played is I, and it's kind of a nice mindless addictive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
6 without a doubt. Battles, story, everything. Gotta love the old-school.

4,7,9 were also quite good. 5 was okay too, the job system was too time consuming for me. 10 was nice, but the battle system made battles somewhat easy. Liked the story though, and blitzball! (damn I sound like a nerd)

8 is way too open ended in the beginning for me so I never got into it like the other games.

I like 5 a lot actually, lol, I think it's part of the fun working with the jobs. 4 is exceptional!! and of course, VII is great too. Out of all, VII then V then IV and VI.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
That's exactly what I was going to say!
tongue.gif

Me too! Final Fantasy 6 was like Gone With The Wind of video games, 1994 was a great year for the SNES, IMHO...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I don't think there is any. 8 was a good game, no doubt, but I guess overall it just lacked something that kept it from being one of best of the series. i played it part way, and my cousin beat it, he said it was quite forgettable.
Man, I wish they'd make a sequel or remake of 6 utilitizing the ps2/3, that'd be killer.

Practically the same opinion here about 8. 8 was awesome, but I didn't connect with it like I did with 6, although I found it to have great replay value, definitely more than 9 had- its minigames were convoluted. However, it does become somewhat more interesting with a PocketStation, which I own (trying to avoid gloating, but can't help it). And I'll tell ya, Chocobo World is UBERFUN when you don't own any other portable gaming device!

Oh, and can you imagine what a remake(+ expansion and in 3d would be nice) of 6 be like if the updated graphics were a more literal take of the Amano illustrations upon which much of the original game was based? Amano's exquisite work in a PS3 environment would be something to die for, especially if you see comparisons between his illustrations of FF7 and the CG junk put in its place...
Oh, and if you've heard the song "Maria And Draco - The Dream Oath", if the music for a remake was like that, OMG that would be breathtaking!

Yoshi taka Amano, you're my hero
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #27 of 34
For me it was 3, 7, 10.

I loved 10 so much I bought the music to it.

I never could get the hang of 7's when you add mp-revive and stuff.

Never ever defeated the weapens. Came very, very close to defeating the red weapon only for me to press the wrong button at the wrong time.

Also I never managed to breed a gold chocobo which means I never managed to get the KOTR magic. So does anyone have a video link so that I can see ehat it looked like?

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #28 of 34
I think seven was the most groundbreaking and had the coolest atmosphere, though I havent played the newest ones. I really liked six as well and liked five and four too. Felt that the earlier ones were pretty good: I miss the old style RPGs and games in general, so much content and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back