Which is the best closed-end headphone????
Jul 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

redbird

New Head-Fier
I was going to purchase a pair of Sennheiser HD598, but I really want a closed headphone. I am looking to something that sounds clear and detailed and not fatiguing. Can anyone recommend a great pair that is reasonable? Thanks

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Denon AH-D2000

They have a lot of bass, and the mids and highs are generally flat. A simple eq fix tames the bass, if the bass is a problem. They also have a great soundstage, great detail, and are comfortable.

Definitely not fatiguing soundwise and comfort wise.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 9
What's your budget? My favorite closed headphone is the Sony R10. However, they're a bit too pricey for me and hard to find.

My second favorite is the Beyerdynamic DT48. Very neutral and very detailed, but I only recommend them for dedicated classical, jazz and folk/bluegrass listeners who have entirely acoustic music. If that's you, the DT48 is sensational.

If you listen to a wide variety of music, the Sony MDR-7509HD might work. These are professional studio headphones. I like my pair quite a lot. Neutral and detailed, but they don't have the transparency of the DT48. I love to use them when I travel.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 9
The best closed I've ever heard are the Beyerdynamic T5p, but I don't think that's what you'd consider "reasonable".

Back here on earth, you might want to consider the AKG K270/271. It sounded natural and immersive.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 9
I am hearing very good things about Denon, however, are they made in Japan???? The only reason I ask, is that I heard to stay away from items manufactured their because of high levels of radiation.
A pair of Headphones is definitely something I wouldn't buy since they will be on my head for a few hours at a time??

Thanks,

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 9
Fostex T50RP is great too. Vastly better than its low street price would suggest. And that's before you give it the Thunderpants upgrade, which takes it to a whole new level.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 9
In my arduous experience with closed cans, here is my ranking (all amplified):

1. Stax 4070
2. Beyerdynamic T5p
3. Shure SRH-940 (Best Value by far)
4. Ultrasone Edition 8
5. Shure SRH-840
6. Audio Technica W5000 (a tad to warm, but there was something special in them)

Next would be the other Ultrasones, AT's, AKG's and lastly the Denon's rank low in my list (not my type of sound). I would consider the Sony Z1000's and Beyerdynamic t70p but I havent heard them yet.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 9
If you think you might like the signature of the HD-598, try the Koss Pro DJ100. I don't suggest it without an amp though.
The HD-598 arrived just when I was looking for an open headphone similar to the DJ100. I liked the HD-598 so much and it definitely a keeper.

The DJ100 does have thinner sounding mids (compared to the HD-598 ONLY), but they're more forward, especially the upper mids. They're amazing for female vocals.

The HD-598 is definitely more relaxed and the DJ100 is slightly more aggressive in it's signature and has more bass. Both the 598 and DJ100 have slightly rolled off treble.

DJ100 actually sounds more clear and has more detail than the 598 with it's stock cable. There, I said it....oh and it's $80!

I wonder how the DJ100 compares to the K501?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back