Which is the best all around canalphone?
Jun 28, 2005 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Which canalphone do you think is the best all around canalphone, concerning the following:

--Detail
--Clarity
--Decay
--Timbre
--Soundstage
--Frequency Balance from lows to mids to highs
--Sibilance control
--Improvement when amped
--instrument separation
--extension
--speed
--Musicality/involvement
--value
--Comfort
--Cable Noise (Microphonics)

Please post comments, on why you think that pair of canalphones is the best, all around.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm currently torn between the E4 and the E5 on this issue. I'm part way through my review now, and should be done in the next day or two. Check it out when it's done for my thoughts. The review will contain: Shure E2/E4/E5, Etymotic ER4s, and Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro/EB.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 21
I'd really like to see comfort and microphonics as part of that criteria.

Those are two very important factors for me and a primary reason I don't use mine very much.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
I'd really like to see comfort and microphonics as part of that criteria.

Those are two very important factors for me and a primary reason I don't use mine very much.

There you go. Comfort, musicality, value and microphonics are very important.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 21
Hey, I voted already, but now you changed the poll so that comfort, and microphonics are the most important?

If so, I wouldn't have voted the way I did.

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
There you go. Comfort, musicality, value and microphonics are very important.

Thanks, man. I'll be watching the poll. I've been considering purchasing the Shure E4. While I've read a great deal in regard to sonics, there hasn't been a lot of info regarding comfort/microponics as compared to the other canal phones.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 21
Good poll idea, but there are very few people here who are qualified to make that kind of judgement. I know I'm not. Sonically, the best I've heard thus far is the Stax 001, but in terms of comfort and practicality, it's among the worst. Overall, I would have to pick the UM2, but as I'm only familiar with a few options, I'm going to hold back my vote.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Hey, I voted already, but now you changed the poll so that comfort, and microphonics are the most important?

If so, I wouldn't have voted the way I did.

For example phone A and phone B.
- --Phone A:
Sound Q: 85% (say UE10 level sound)
Comfort/microphonics...: 0% (as bad as cactus in ear)
Total: 85%

- --Phone B:
Sound Q: 10 % (Sony Ex71 level)
Comfort/Microphonics....: 100%
Total: 110%

Then phone B would be the better choice. Not because sound is more important than comfort, or the other way around, but rather because taking both sound and comfrot equally into account makes that phone better.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé
Damnit. Clicked on the Super.Fi 5 Pro's by accident. Meant to press the E5c's. Sorry.

Poor superfis. They thought someone liked them more than the rest, but that is not the case.

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 21
The Etys ER-4 never ceases to amaze me. I voted for the UM2 because the votes are down and it needs a little push
eek.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 21
I voted for the Ety ER4 series but I own ER6i IEMs and love them. Very good for the amount paid.

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 21
I've heard a bunch, and to me, the e4c is head and shoulders above the rest in the 'best all-around canalphone' rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back