Which is more natural, ATH-A900X, XPT100, or NAD VISO HP50?
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Headoh

New Head-Fier
Hi,

First post here. Haven't been able to find a direct comparison between these two. Which of the two are considered to have a more natural as opposed to neutral sound between the ATH-A900X and XPT100? A900X seems to have slightly more 3d effect, maybe slightly better distinction between different instruments but I'm noticing some sibillance in cymbals and Ss as opposed to the XPT100. XPT100 also seems to leak way less with their angled pads if thicker padding is set up towards the back of the head.

Having said that I have no idea which is considered better at producing a natural sound. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Never heard the nvx but owned the nad and heard the at. NAD would be my choice, many At cans have a bit too much energy at 10k and the nvx looks like it might be a bit overdone at 3k. also the NAD is closer to the theoretical harmon curve.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 13
So it looks like the NAD is the closest to the Harmon curve (is it because it leaks sound like crazy?).

Are there any closed headphones that follow the Harmon curve very well, is portable that doesn't leak, and costs under $200? Need to wear it on train commute where people sit right next to you. Will be a phone that powers it. No dac or amp. If none under $200 how much higher in price would I have to go? Better yet, is there an easy way to do a search like this?

Separate question, does EQ ruin sound quality? I'm sure there must be trade offs to using EQ cause if not, everybody would just get the cheapest headphones and tweak it.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Are there any over ear closed back that sound like Final Audio Heaven IIs? I just got that pair and am in love with them.

I understand from prior explanations that it's difficult to compare between the two because of ear shape but suggestions would help me move in a direction. Thank you!

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 13
Why worry about the Harmon curve. You should instead worry about the Headoh curve. Why let someone else tell you what is good or not. Music is to be enjoyed not to find out how something sounds like on some piece of equipment but how it effects you.

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 13
Why worry about the Harmon curve. You should instead worry about the Headoh curve. Why let someone else tell you what is good or not. Music is to be enjoyed not to find out how something sounds like on some piece of equipment but how it effects you.
I understand what you mean but that headphone doesn't follow the harmon curve. I happen to like the sound as it sounds like straight speakers with great sound stage. It's possible the future is IEMs as ear shape doesn't play as much a role there. More likely people will experience the same with those. Looking to see what the closest sounding over ears are for my ears. Since there isn't a function to look up headphones by how much it's similar to a certain curve that one finds enjoyment in asking here is the next best thing unless the suggestion is to buy and return dozens of headsets

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Not trying to beat you up sorry if came off that way but if you want the soundstage of speakers just not going to happen with headphones. Some do a great job but nothing like speakers.

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Not trying to beat you up sorry if came off that way but if you want the soundstage of speakers just not going to happen with headphones. Some do a great job but nothing like speakers.
This is true. However, for most people who either don't have the space or budget headphones will be their choice of purchase. It's also much more convenient when you move. Looking for over ear closed back that's close to final audio heaven ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back