Which is better ? Xin Reference or Larocco PrII
Oct 26, 2007 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

musicmaker

1000+ Head-Fier
Could someone that has heard both the Xin Reference and Larocco PrII comment on the which of these two amps they prefer sonically and why ?

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone that has heard both the Xin Reference and Larocco PrII comment on the which of these two amps they prefer sonically and why ?

I have a Reference and have compared it to both the LRII and the original model of the Larocco. Both amps sound superb. I think the Reference is a little better in rendering very delicate instrumental nuances, but it is a hard call, and one that would ultimately be determined by personal preference.

Considering that the Reference is MUCH smaller, considerably less expensive, and can run several hundred hours on a set of AAA cells while easily driving my HD-650s, I don't think I would be tempted on the LR.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I think you should consider which amp is more likely to give you a mental breakdown. Nothing to do with sound but...check out the "those waiting for Xin amps" thread and do a search on the Larocco amps regarding the customer service (or lack of).

I've been waiting 7 months for my Reference.

-Fizz

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 5
The LaRocco with the AD744 using the pin component mode, is hard to beat, even for bigger amps....

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by icantusefizz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should consider which amp is more likely to give you a mental breakdown. Nothing to do with sound but...check out the "those waiting for Xin amps" thread and do a search on the Larocco amps regarding the customer service (or lack of).

I've been waiting 7 months for my Reference.

-Fizz

Trust me, I know exactly how difficult it is to get my hands on either. Horrible customer service and maddening wait times apart, from a pure sonic perspective I am still interested in knowing which the better amp is and why. Thanks to folks that have already commented. Looking forward to more perspectives/impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back