Which is better: GRADO SR80 or Sennheiser HD 555?
Oct 21, 2008 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

headphoneboy

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers!

I'm new to the community and this is my first post. I've been reading the forums a couple of days now and I have to say that this is a great forum.

Anyway, So I'm buying/upgrading my current Sennheiser HD 205 to either a Grado SR80 or a Sennheiser HD 555 as my first audiophile headphone. I'm only choosing between the two and I'm not looking for more than that or anything less.

I have tested the Grado SR80 and I am really impressed with them. They produce great and very detailed sound. Right now, I really want the SR80s. But, I haven't tested out the HD 555s yet so I can't decide yet.

For the meantime, based on your experiences, can I get your suggestions on which one is better? and most importantly which has the better sound?

Thanks in advance!
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 36
Well, I have both. I got the HD555 before the SR-80.

They've settled into their respective positions in my entertainment lineup. I use the Grados strictly for music, and the Senns strictly for PC gaming and movies.

I will say that the Grados trump the Senns for music use, although the Senns have the wider sound stage (which is what makes them great for gaming and movies).

So, I guess figure out what you will use them for the most. As a first pair of "audiophile" headphones, I would suggest you get the Grados.

Also, another huge difference is comfort. Wear the Senns all day, but the Grados start to hurt after an album or two.

It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Which flavor do you like better?

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 36
to me, the senns are better. It depends what you value more in your sound. Do you want punchy yet harsh or a little soft yet full? Grado for the former and Senns for the latter.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What music do you mainly listen to?

I mostly listen to Rock all the time. Alternative Rock to be specific. Although, I listen to many genres or musics like country, jazz, techno, and very little classical. But most of the time it's Rock that I listen too.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have both. I got the HD555 before the SR-80.

They've settled into their respective positions in my entertainment lineup. I use the Grados strictly for music, and the Senns strictly for PC gaming and movies.

I will say that the Grados trump the Senns for music use, although the Senns have the wider sound stage (which is what makes them great for gaming and movies).

So, I guess figure out what you will use them for the most. As a first pair of "audiophile" headphones, I would suggest you get the Grados.

Also, another huge difference is comfort. Wear the Senns all day, but the Grados start to hurt after an album or two.

It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Which flavor do you like better?

Thanks for your reply. I find it very helpful. I read in reviews of the Senn HD 555 that they are more better for movies but not so excellent with music. I will be using the headphones mainly for music, and I want the headphones better in music than movies.

+1 on the Grados.

Anymore suggestions guys?

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 36
Its not a matter of what a person listens to as much as how he wants to listen to it. I listen mostly to british alternative music then some jazz and various rock and pop but I still don't prefer grados to senns overall.

+1 for 555 here

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not a matter of what a person listens to as much as how he wants to listen to it. I listen mostly to british alternative music then some jazz and various rock and pop but I still don't prefer grados to senns overall.

+1 for 555 here

I see. I have tested the Grados already and I really liked them. Although, I still have yet to test the senns for me to decide. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 36
Not all people like the Grado sound, but those who do swear by them for good reasons. If you like the SR80 and don't find them uncomfortable go for it, you can't go wrong with them for rock songs.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 36
i loved my sr80's. i listen to mostly alternative rock also and found them fun to listen to.

the comfort isn't the greatest for long periods of time, but they were definitely fun. i honestly think the sr80's are a good first grado headphone. i haven't tried the sr60's but the 80's are only like $20 more and i had no complaints about them.

i used them unamped straight out of a dap.

my opinion is biased though since i haven't actually tried the hd555's. i'd love to try some other headphones, but none of my friends are into that kind of thing.

err, my post probably wasn't that helpful, but i'm just giving my opinion on the sr80s

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both are pretty crappy, save up for a used sr225

you're pretty crappy.

Anyway, in regards to the op, I use the 555's for gaming and my Grado SR60's for music out of my laptop. Since the 80's > 60's, I am emphatically voting for the 80's

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #13 of 36
@yukihiro, we listen to the same kind of genre. It was still a helpful tip.

@freckling, thanks for the tip!

+3 votes already for the Grado SR80
+1 on Sennheiser HD 555

Anymore votes and suggestions guys?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back