1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Which is a better cure for “upgradetitis”..

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Focux, Mar 7, 2019.
?

HiFiMan Edition X V2 or Aeon Flow Open

1. HEX V2

75.0%
  2. AFO

25.0%
2 3
Next

Last
  1. Focux
    HEX V2 is USD280 more than AFO

Which would you go for in consideration of:

<in order or weightage>
    Comfort
    Performance
    Resale value
    Ease of warranty claim (repair/support/replacement etc.)

Pls do mention other models under USD1.5K for consideration :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I will only speak to resale value, and only from a speculative stance (we never really know). I have always felt that something is only worth what people will pay. I love HiFi Man in general, but I find their constant new tweaks/models and revisions to erode my confidence in their headphones in the sense that I wonder if they release headphones at times where the sound signature is still being tuned and subsequent releases represent the further tuning work. Does that make sense? So saying that I think about looking on the used market at HiFi Man stuff and unless the deal is significant I wonder if I would be further ahead to wait for the sure to come next headphone.

In reality I would go through the for sale forum here, look at what is being asked, and or contacting those who have sold these models recently and ask how long it took to sell and if they had to drop their price and to what (if they will tell you). Don't get me wrong, I very much love HiFi Man, I have owned the HE560 and 400i, but with the frequent releases, I really have been less confident in putting my money down for fear of buyer remorse if a new version drops soon thereafter. I am unsure if this is simply the reality of a more competitive personal audio marketplace versus the recent past when models were released far less often.

Focux likes this.
  3. chimney189
    Is there a certain sound signature that you are looking for?

4. Wheel Hoss
    ZMF Auteur

5. Focux
    That does makes sense, I can see where you’re coming from

6. Focux
    650 as reference but not so mid focused and more detail with a thinner sound

Not thin sounding but less warm and thick than 650

7. nicholars
    If you are not bothered about more sub bass eg. you are happy with the bass on the HD650, you might like the 660s.

8. ls13coco
    I will mention Ether Flow, I see one on the listings page right now for $9xx.
    Got mine used from here recently for just under that price, bought the 1.1 tuning kit and newer pads, they are the top choice out of what I own (see sig)
    LCD-2c is also very to my liking for much under 1.5k.
    A used Arya maybe? That's the only other HP I'm considering to buy.

Focux likes this.
  9. Focux
    Tried the 660S but it just didn’t sound “special” :s

Def need abit more bass and treble on 650..

10. Focux
    Do u find your LCD2C more laidback than Ether? Or rather more laidback than 650?

11. ls13coco
    I find the 650 more laid back than either, though the 2c could be found laid back compared to the Ether if it wasn't for the punchy bass of the 2c in my opinion. I find a slight silk sheen on the 2c if I recently used something like the Sundara or Ether which I find brighter.

The Ether flow is definitely less warm/dark than the 6xx or 2c to my ears, even with the warmest tuning inserts (the whites).
    This is coming from somebody that returned the DT 1990 due to it being too bright for my tastes, especially in "S" sounds.

Focux likes this.
  12. Focux
    I would be happy to have an Ether Flow and call it a day but would prefer to just get it new. Big thousand 100% jump from AFO tho..!!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    ls13coco likes this.
  13. arielext
    The HEX v2 are amazing, but dark, very open walls of sound that will amaze you with their transparency.

unless ...

IMG_20180605_122625 (2).jpg

wje likes this.
  14. ls13coco
    Yeah I wasn't willing to spend the MSRP, would still be dreaming about having one if I didn't get it used lol! No complaints though, it was in like new condition.
    I was contemplating the AFO at one time, but some of the reviews put me off. Not about the quality of it in anyway, just the sound signature some were explaining didn't sound like what I'd want for that dollar.

Just to add, every audio piece I've bought has been new up until the 2c and Flow.. I'd definitely buy higher priced gear used again! :)

Focux likes this.
  15. Focux
    hory shet..:fearful:

wje likes this.
2 3
Next

Last