which IEM's for spoken word and vocals?
Jul 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

spoonsphere

New Head-Fier
hi!

can you recommend a pair of IEM's that are well suited for spoken word and vocals, also some movies?

i'd like to be able to use them without a headphone amp if possible.  i'll mostly use them with my iphone / ipad / macbook pro.

i'd love to keep this under $300 if possible.

i have a pair of shure SE210's now that will get replaced with what i purchase.

thanks!

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 10
The monster turbine series seems to do well with mids and vocals.

Source:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/monster-turbine.php

Go up the pyramid and get the copper or golds. They are much more detailed (obviously).

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 10
Try Monster Turbine Coppers...or ie7 both are great

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 10
SE530 is a midrange focused earphone that does very well for voice.  Used pairs commonly go well under $300.  At a bit less cost the RE252 is great with a very flat frequency response and excellent midrange and treble quality.

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I prefer Etymotics offerings for vocals, and even day to day music, very realistic sound from lows to highs. Etymotic does research to prove this through their patented system for testing. Not impressed with the Monster Turbine Gold, or the Shure SE535, both of which I specifically sought out at CanJam because of their high praise on the internets. MTPG had less, and more thunky, bass than my $150 KDE/250, and the SE530 was quite uninspiring for a 3-way; not musical, not realistic or neutral, more of a plain sounding earphone. I have not heard any of the IE series by Sennheiser.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 10
I've paired the SoundMagic PL50 with iBasso D10 using the digital out on my DVD player with great results.  Not too expensive either (well, maybe you could use a cheaper amp).

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 10
I agree with above poster, PFE is really amazing for vocals.

Also, 300$ is a heavy budget and and you can get a lot of high quality IEMs with that range but I've seen the PFE in the go for sale forums for CHEAP! - i think you should try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back