Which IEMs for me?
Oct 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joeshmo1985

New Head-Fier
Since I've been on the train a lot more lately, I decided I need to take the plunge on some IEM headphones. I listen to a bunch of different types of music, ranging from Rap to Rock and most things in between. I also listen to seminars (i.e. spoken presentations) on my Storm (really need to get an iPhone, media is so much better, but that's a whole other issue).

I'd like to keep it under $100. I've heard good things about the Klipsch S4, which is nice because I can get it right off Amazon. I've also been seeing a lot of good things about the SoundMagic PL-50s, but I'm not sure what the best place to order them from is and how they stack up to other IEMs (like the above Klipsch). Anyone have some insight for me?

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 6
There are a number of threads asking the same question, and also several PL50 reviews.

The PL50s are one of the better budget IEMs, as are the Klipsch S4, Nuforce NE-6, Maximo Im-590, and Meelectronics Ai-M6. The Nuforces have a great low end. The Maximos are balanced all-around. The Meelecs are good at the bottom and the top (i.e. bass and treble). The PL50s have great mids. Note that I'm far oversimplifying. Do some reading to see which one seems right for you.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 6
iMetal 590. An absolute steal at $60.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Some propaganda from Headroom that happens to be true:

Quote:

All we can say is WOW! The Maximo iMetal im590 are likely the best-sounding in ear headphones we have ever heard priced under $100. The iMetal are truly an astonishing value given their near reference-grade audio performance. Expect rich, full, well-balanced bass response and cleanly extended detailed highs with a non-fatiguing timbral presentation that is smoothly even-toned up and down the entire frequency range. 9mm neodymium drivers ensure accurate and clean high-definition of even very complex music. The iM590's strong isolation/noise-blocking ability effectively factor out environmental ambient sounds for maximum listening privacy even in the noisiest of settings. Great price for a great product all in-ear listeners will definitely enjoy.

The platinum white Maximo iMetal iM590 offer a stout all-metal earpiece construction and modernized streamlined looks along with a complete selection of variously sized proprietary eartip sleeves that assure a nicely comfortable in-ear fit. The iM590 is also available in a cool black color. The cloth-braided earphone cord extends about 4 ft and a useful 2ft extension cable is provided along with a full array of plug adaptors for smartphones and airline systems. The hard-sided clamshell carrying case provides secure transit for the iM590 earphones during your travels. A 2-year manufacturers' warranty is standard on all Maximo products.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 6
To me the most important when iam traveling is bass because on many IEMs bass has less impact due to the external noise. I will recommmend these(SHE9850, C710, ATH-CKS70, C750, S4) for better bass and other frequencies(mids, highs) are also good on these IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back