which IEM's are your biggest dissapointment and why??
Dec 18, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #47 of 70
The Shure SE110 as I was expecting this one to sound as good as the Shure E2/SCL2 but consequently and incidentally, the sound was muddy, too much emphasis on the mids, sound sounded unnatural, sounded a bit too mono-ey.

I'm going to have to sell this to an interested party (alongside a surplus pair of E500's I have)

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by marillion64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica w5000
too bright sound, lack of bass, not great sounding as it looks...to me the best current sale good looking headphone available...but that's it!

You must have huge ears...

For me, the biggest disappointment was the UM2. It sounded pretty congested and unrefined with rolled-off highs. The E500 is significantly better, but still fatally flawed in its own way.

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #49 of 70
i thought the first gen vibes were pretty good when i bought them. unfortunatley, the cable finally gave in while on holiday in japan, and i bought a pair of "emergency" rp-htx7 cans for 50 dollars. to my big surprise i preferred the sound of the panasonic cans!
my new gen replacement vibes sound like a pair of porta pro's covered by a wet sock.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #50 of 70
The Koss KEB 24 for me the left driver died in less than 24 hrs i guess thats why there called the KEB 24's

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #51 of 70
I was very let down by E500's x2, couldn't get with the treble. Started reading the Hype and purchase them again (dumb!dumb!dumb!), same problem couldn't get with the highs. One OP said that you could switch sides, so they would go in your ear at a diffrent angle and that would fix the problem. It was too late for me to try this, cause I Sold them!
frown.gif
confused.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #52 of 70
Reading all your comments on the e2c makes me feel like I'm such an amatuer (which I am, haha). I actually liked the e2c; but probably only because they're ny first IEM pair. Anyway, they bass is yes, too muddy buy I was okay with the mids and the highs.

I just got my e4c and I have mixed feelings. With its tuned bass port etc. technology crap, this thing has almost always crackly bass for me. I dunno if the burn-in is incomplete or the music I have sucks or what. (In before 'you probably have bad fit/seal,' I stickem IEMs into my ear perfectly, thank you)

Shure in general: My e2c's cord broke in a little over a year or decent usage. I'm afraid that the same will eventually happen to my e4c (it has been reported). I'm sorry but I have to ask, can you guys check this thread out and add your inputs? I'm fearing my e4's impending doom!

[]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/e4c...-help-267266/]

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #53 of 70
SuperFi 5 Pro, the sound quality is not as the level of reputation, plus the cables makes it uncomfortable.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #54 of 70
The Shure E500 was a huge dissapointment to me.I really wanted to like these iem's as the head-fi hype was considerable, but for a so-called 'flagship' product they have considerable sonic limitations.The most obvious of these defects being the poor upper treble response....

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #55 of 70
I have to say Koss Spark Plug - BUT - I actually liked the original "The Plug" for what it was - a soft fit that was much more comfortable than the ipod buds for only about $10. Yeah, they are muddy and the highs are non-existent, but at least I could get them to stay in my ears. OTOH, the Spark Plug was awful - microphonics that were so bad I couldn't move my head without making really loud crackles. I thought I had a bad set, so I actually bought another one - same thing.

I also really disliked the JVC marshmallows. No isolation and terrible SQ. But again, for the price they are still better than any buds I have tried.

It's pretty hard to be disappointed in any of the uber cheap products - they were really just experiments to see whether they deserved any of the 'net hype they receive. It wasn't really surprising that none of my experiments compared to IEMs that live much farther up the food chain.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #58 of 70
For me it was the Shure 530's.

I have used my Senn 580's for 6-7 years now, and had a reference of softs as to what I liked and what I considered "normal".

I bought the UE Super 5 Pro's, and found them outstanding, but I still wanted an "upgrade" to the tripple drivers, so after all of the reviews about the Shure 530's, and how they were supposed to be better than the Triple 10's, I bought the Shure's, expecting them to be much better than my UE Super 5 Pro's.

Once I got them, and tried different sources/content, I found that I did not like the higher freq/vocals on the 530's - to me there was some artificial coloration in the vocals (Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, just to give two examples) and something "missing" on the higher frequencies, so I ordered the Triple 10's. I then did back-to-back Shure 530 vs. the Triple 10's and found the Triple 10's an ideal match to the music I like (they sound "right" to my ears), so I sold my almost-new 530's on Ebay for a small loss ($).

What I learned from all of this? Audio is "very" subjective. That many find perfect, might not sound "right" to others. You have to try different things until you find something that sounds right to "you"
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xrtremeMac FS1s (really horrible, to me). Sent them back to Amazon.
V-Moda Vibes (1st gen). Sold them, but USPS lost them.

I agree with you about the xtrememac FS1. Not worth the price.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #60 of 70
Sony EX71. Bass should never make your ears bleed...
and I also feel that this collects earwax not only from yourself, but from anyone within 2 km radius as well - it just collects earwax as if it was its main function

Users who are viewing this thread

Back