Which IEM?
Mar 24, 2006 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Linas5

New Head-Fier
yea...sorry 'bout the lame/repetative title =P

So, I'm thinking of taking the plunge into IEMs. But, im not really all that sure which one I should get or if i should get a pair. My budget would probally be like...sub-$100 (yea, i know, its probally gonna suck/im just gonna wanna spend a bajillion dollars in upgrades to new ones). So, is there an entry-tastic IEM i should try out for less than 100 dollars? And, does anyone know what kinda places would carry IEMs that i could try out (like in Madison, WI =P)

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linas5
yea...sorry 'bout the lame/repetative title =P

So, I'm thinking of taking the plunge into IEMs. But, im not really all that sure which one I should get or if i should get a pair. My budget would probally be like...sub-$100 (yea, i know, its probally gonna suck/im just gonna wanna spend a bajillion dollars in upgrades to new ones). So, is there an entry-tastic IEM i should try out for less than 100 dollars? And, does anyone know what kinda places would carry IEMs that i could try out (like in Madison, WI =P)

Id try the Ety ER6's. It's what I started with, in your budget too.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Both the ER-6 and ER-6i hover around $100-130 depending on where you shop. Of the two, I'd give the nod to the 6i, myself. The UE super.fi 3 is also a really great value IEM and well under $100 if you shop around.

If you've just started thinking about IEMs, then I'd take a look at HeadRoom's IEM page. Also, there are tons of "which IEM for under $xxx" threads if you search through past head-fi topics. Let us know if you narrow your search!

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 7
If you intend to stick to your budget (anathematic here
very_evil_smiley.gif
), you could do a lot worse than the Shure e2's. They are durable, comfortable (for most), and have a sound signature that plays well with an un-trained ear.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 7
i vouche for the Etymotic ER6i's, great IEM's. You can easily do a search on the forums and get more info on them than what i can prolly give you, since i'm still pretty new to them myself.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 7
I was in the same delimma as the OP but I came to realization that IEM's are not meant for me. I tried E2c and was not very happy as they didn't make much of a difference for me and they were very uncomfortable for me. I was about to spend money on E4C but then i was like i will have to keep spending money buying the foams for the headphones every so often and that just makes them more expensive.

I have decided that i will stick with the regular earbuds and maybe spend that money on my car speakers instead as I am in my car most of the time. I wanted some descent headphones for working out purposes but spending close to $300.00 on headphones is something i had to think it over many times.

I was gonna get the KSC75 but i just dont like the way they look. They have got good reviews on those earphones.

It's a tough call so Good Luck.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Since no one else has mentioned them, you could check out Westone's single driver unit, the UM1. I've tried these and they sound good for me, and there are good reviews on them. They are $109 on www.earphonesolutions.com, so just slightly higher than your $100 budget.

However, I recommend you get to at least try them all at least once before choosing the one to buy, so you can check for what sound you like, the fit, comfort etc.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back