which IEM should I get?
Oct 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know where you can get Mingo WM2 gold and Cresyn C750E used in your price range, PM me if interested. And my thoughts on the WM2 are very different than shigzeo's.

Both have great, forward mids and good treble, with the Cresyn winning in the mids and treble area, and the WM2 destroying the C750E in the bass area. The Cresyn isolates better than the WM2, better than my other IEMs with silicon, and even better with foam (olives).

Both of those IEMs sound intersting, but based on those reviews I'm not sure if either would be well suited the music generes I primarly listen too, any body care to comment on that?

So far I'm leaning towrards the IM-590's...

and here are three other headphones that have not really been menetiod that are in my price range(soo...many....choices....)

Shure E2c:
beta brainwavz
RE2

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 27
The RE2's aren't ideal for your listening preferences. They are a bit too bright and lack power at the low end. The Shures are IMO inferior to the IM-590 detail and balance-wise,

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 27
I have been playing with the Mingo WM2 gold tonight, as I am entertaining selling them (and keeping the silver version). One of the knocks on them is there is too much bass. I have tried some different tips as my double flange tips are on other IEMs, so I tried standard silicon and Skullcany silicon tips.

With the standard silicon, I wore them deeper than I wear them with the double flange, and I must have not had a great seal, as they seemed ultra detailed, yet a little bass lite. Not bass lite like the Cresyn C750E, but more bass lite as in balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

With the Skullcandy large tips and a much more shallow insertion the bass was back, but not overbearing in any way, but slightly thick on one country song (38 Special - Back Where You Belong).

I listened to all the genres you stated in your OP, metal (Metallica, Opeth, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Epica, Delain), classical, country, hard rock, and I was pretty pleased. To me the bass wasn't overpowering, and the mids were always a strong point. But I had never listened to classical via the WM2, and wow, Beethoven's ninth sounded awesome!

I also compared them to the RE252, which is pretty neutral except a little bump in the upper mids/lower treble, and the WM2 is warmer with less sparkle (due to the bump).

Also, the Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200v are balanced and sometimes go on sale at Amazon for $25.

Anyways, the gold do sound very good, but I guess you have to decide what you think fits you best. So many choices, I would hate to have to decide on just 1!
My final few thoughts from my experiences:
- You should really decide on what sound signature you think you want and get the best IEM with that sound sig
- You may not like an IEM at first listen, but may end up really liking it after you get used to the sound.
- The sound signature you think you like may not be your ideal sound signature.

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 27
Well I'm not very familar with sound sigs either, which makes this even harder.... ARG to many choices, to limited of a budget....

That does, I'm taking some kind of audio class next quarter, that is if my college even has any(comunity college ftl but at least its free[high school student, doing a program called running start, get to go to the communty full time for free, and get both college/high scool credits).....

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

The RE2's aren't ideal for your listening preferences. They are a bit too bright and lack power at the low end.

x2

The RE2s are a peerless, low-priced entry phone for the classical/country/acoustic/folk set. For the metal fan, not so much.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 27
regarding tips, i know some people just go for egronomic tips meant for things like hearing aids.

these (available at wal-mart, london drugs etc etc) are generally used by people with hearing deficiencies (go figure) so they block out sound pretty well.

and since they have to wear them all day, it's quite comfy (think dr. scholls for your ears)

AND because they are aimed at a larger demographic, the price is very acceptable.

the only thing about these is the fit. not to your ear (they taken care of that) but to the phones.

if your phones don't fit into the narrow opening designed for the hearing aid, you're gonna have to exacto-knife yourself another opening which the phones fit.

i suggest using a heated metal of some sort to melt the gel a bit before just going at it with a small sized screw driver.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by achow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regarding tips, i know some people just go for egronomic tips meant for things like hearing aids.

these (available at wal-mart, london drugs etc etc) are generally used by people with hearing deficiencies (go figure) so they block out sound pretty well.

and since they have to wear them all day, it's quite comfy (think dr. scholls for your ears)

AND because they are aimed at a larger demographic, the price is very acceptable.

the only thing about these is the fit. not to your ear (they taken care of that) but to the phones.

if your phones don't fit into the narrow opening designed for the hearing aid, you're gonna have to exacto-knife yourself another opening which the phones fit.

i suggest using a heated metal of some sort to melt the gel a bit before just going at it with a small sized screw driver.

Thanks for the info, though I don't think comfort will be that of a deal for me(never was with the cheapy IEMs I've used in the past) my main concern with tips is isolation and how they would effect the SQ

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #23 of 27
hm.

i've done this a few times and found that the isolation is generally quite good (provided you take the time to try every ear piece)

like i said, they are meant for the hearing impaired. the isolation needs to be good.

the SQ is something different though. since there is a physical connection between the gel and the phones housing, the resonance can become a huge factor depending on the material. with a harder material, the sound could get a bit screechy, and with a gel material, the sound stage can be dampened.

from my personal experience, the best thing to do is to match the material of the housing itself. silicon seems to be a good choice here.

extra thought.

I'VE NEVER DONE THIS

if you have a spare set that you dont' mind destroying, why not try taking out the housing all together?

i'd imagine the procedure to be something liek this.

1. find gel pieces that you liek the material of (or in your case, one that matches the original housing)
2. carefully strip the phones of its original housing
3. bore a compartment of the exact size into the gel
4. install the components
5. somehow seal it up. (epoxy? something extra viscous so it doesn't leak into the components and mess it up and of course, super gluey)

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #26 of 27
I like my super.fi 3 but just replaced them on a whim with a pair of Meelectronics M6 and the Super.Fi have been completely outclassed, and at less than half the price.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #27 of 27
The PL50s, while great all-around IEMs, might be too laid back for you music preferences. They do offer amazingly smooth mids for the price, but they lack the bass impact of the Ai-M6/Im-590/NE-6. The Ai-M6, on the other hand, has great lows and highs, but the mids are the weak link for me. Still amazing IEMs, just a bit of a v-shaped frequency curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back