which IEM should I get?
Oct 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

muxenle

100+ Head-Fier
Well I think that I'm going to go with some kind of IEM instead of a full sized can, now I'm just wondering what I should get. I'm currently leaning towards the UM1s after reading a lot of reviews, and a lack of bass shouldn't be that big of a issue.

But I'm wondering if something like the RE0 would be a better choice, or crossroads quatro. Or another brand/model entirerly.

My price range is 70 USD (planning on buying used)

music: melodic death metal, death metal, celtic/folk metal, power metal, prog metal, symphonic metal, classical, country, hard rock, and some other genres but those are the main ones.

As I said bass is not that big of a deal for me. The only other head phones I've triead are the grado SR 60, and I kind of liked the sound I got from them. But as you can tell from the music I mostly listen to I kind of like "in your face" sound, and beleive or not I also place a high importance on vocals(yes, lol growling/screaming as "singing")

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 27
I'm also thinking of ER4S, though those are probarly pretty out of my price range, even used.Though I'd be able to afford the ER6i new, how do those compare to RE0 or westone's UM1?

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 27
ER-4S and RE0 are approximately in the same class sound-wise. The Er6i are several steps below. Note that the ER-4S need an amp (the ER-4P do not) while the RE0 merely like an amp. You can take a look at this for some notes on the sound of all three.

Also, take a look at some reviews of the Maximo Im-590. It's in a lower price category than the above phones, but I really liked their particular sound signature for some of your genres (hard rock/prog, power metal, etc).

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 27
Denon C515, philips SHE9850.......

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4S and RE0 are approximately in the same class sound-wise. The Er6i are several steps below. Note that the ER-4S need an amp (the ER-4P do not) while the RE0 merely like an amp. You can take a look at this for some notes on the sound of all three.

Also, take a look at some reviews of the Maximo Im-590. It's in a lower price category than the above phones, but I really liked their particular sound signature for some of your genres (hard rock/prog, power metal, etc).

eeep.... I read through that comparison, and I'm pretty throughly lost and only understood the very simple things(besides the the techincal jargon, I have diffuclty grasping describing sound because, I just don't know what those sounds sound like and how they apply to music and what I like)

*goes back to google to read more reviews about the Im590's and the other IEMs suggested by the other poster*

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 27
hhmm... the im-590's look pretty good from what I've read, and the fact that I can by them new in my budget is nice(though I'm willing to buy used, its a lot more hassel/riskier).

How do they compare to the UM1s(found somebody selling used right at 70 bucks) or the ER60i(roughly in my price range on amazon)?

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by muxenle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hhmm... the im-590's look pretty good from what I've read, and the fact that I can by them new in my budget is nice(though I'm willing to buy used, its a lot more hassel/riskier).

How do they compare to the UM1s(found somebody selling used right at 70 bucks) or the ER60i(roughly in my price range on amazon)?

Can't tell you anything about the UM1's, but the ER6i are noticeably brighter than the Maximos. Bass quality is about equal between the two, but the Maximos obviously have more of it. The Maximos are smoother and more liquid in the midrange. They are also more forward all-around (they are somewhat Grado-like in that respect). The ER6i have better high-end detail but in the mids its a toss-up.

You can probably tell that I really like the Maximos, but in fact I really like the Er6i also. They have better isolation and are extremely small, light, and comfortable (with Shure Olive tips). The Maximos are also very comfortable, have a nicer set of accessories, and a far superior build. They are no slouch when it comes to isolation, either - far better than many others. Also, they come with a 2-year warranty and Maximo customer support is one of the best around (I have heard that Etymotic's is also, but no firsthand experience). I guess you can't really go wrong with either, but for your music preferences the Maximos really take the cake quite easily in my book.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 27
hhmm... two more questions I can think of currently:

exactly what is the isolation with the maximos(I have to rid a overcrowded/noisey school bus to school, a more quiter(but still loud, got asked by the bus driver to turn down my music twice, seperate occasions, one with my grados[returned, funding new headphones] and today with my stock earbuds) and then in a college common area...

I have a bad habbit of gradually turning the volume up, to WAY to loud levels, and have a feeling if I do that with IEMs it will be a more damaging then with normal earbuds, though there would also be less of a chance of that happening with IEMs.

And for the maximo's warrenty is it a limted one, or full, or something inbetween(not very familar with warnties) and I'm assuming I'd still get it if I bought from amazon.

and body care to chip in on how the UM1s would compare?

oh, third question; for highend detail as in higher pitched sounds(female vocals, high pitched scream, etc) or as in some other odd sound fact that I know nothing about?

sorry for so many questions, but when working of a limited supply of money, I want to make I'm making a good choice...

And thanks for all the help so far everybody(from other threads) and to you joker, also thanks for putting up with so many questions

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

exactly what is the isolation with the maximos(I have to rid a overcrowded/noisey school bus to school, a more quiter(but still loud, got asked by the bus driver to turn down my music twice, seperate occasions, one with my grados[returned, funding new headphones] and today with my stock earbuds) and then in a college common area...

I have a bad habbit of gradually turning the volume up, to WAY to loud levels, and have a feeling if I do that with IEMs it will be a more damaging then with normal earbuds, though there would also be less of a chance of that happening with IEMs.

Maximo Isolation is above average as far as IEMs go. There is no way others around you will be able to hear your music with your eardrums still intact. My Im-590s went on to a good friend and he is perfectly content mowing the lawn in them. Says he only has to turn it up 1-2 notches. That habit of yours might be a problem though. A lot of older members here will attest to the possibility of permanent hearing damage with headphones, regardless of type. If you only turn the volume up to block out outside noise, IEMs should help you significantly.

Quote:

And for the maximo's warrenty is it a limted one, or full, or something inbetween(not very familar with warnties) and I'm assuming I'd still get it if I bought from amazon.

Not sure about the warranty. When I first got my Im-590, the package said two years. I'm sure its handled on a case-by-case basis and I've found their support to be very agreeable. Andrew is their representative here so you can probably just contact him if you encounter any issues.

Quote:

oh, third question; for highend detail as in higher pitched sounds(female vocals, high pitched scream, etc) or as in some other odd sound fact that I know nothing about?

High end is what is commonly called the treble (frequencies above 7 KHz or so). Some female vocals can indeed be considered treble, as can many other sounds - percussion, string reverb, etc.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 27
Ya, I only turn it up to block outsite noise, though I do try to aviod doing it, it still happens. I've put turned on my mp3 player with earbuds already in with the volume still turned up to schoolbus leve, in a quite/normal sound level areal...ouch....

and with IEM(which I have used before, 20ish dollar ones) I really didn't have a problem with having to turn up to loud. I still got a lot of out side noise, but I could still hear my music roughly as well when I would have normal earbuds blaring and I would only have at a couple of notches(compared to ~18 notches, with the max at 24...) I'm kind of surpised I have gotten wierd looks on the bus too since I've turned it up to blaring levels with classical music too -_-

and would the im-590's benfit from a cheap portable amp or some other kind of tips? since I do go with those I'd have around 20 bucks left to spend(which could easily be spent on other items too) but I'd also be able to spend it on something like that.

and i really need to stop posting for tonight... I hope all of above makes sense

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 27
Lol. No amp needed with the Maximos. Most IEMs don't really need an amp at all. Several work fine without one but do benefit from one (Phonak PFE, RE0, RE2, etc). Very few benefit hugely (ER-4S are the only ones that come to mind).

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 27
I figured that, just thought I'd ask.

what about tips?

from what I understand, in general, tips(sleeves, what ever they're called) don't make that big of a difference, but once I again I'd figure I'd ask.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 27
I know where you can get Mingo WM2 gold and Cresyn C750E used in your price range, PM me if interested. And my thoughts on the WM2 are very different than shigzeo's.

Both have great, forward mids and good treble, with the Cresyn winning in the mids and treble area, and the WM2 destroying the C750E in the bass area. The Cresyn isolates better than the WM2, better than my other IEMs with silicon, and even better with foam (olives).

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 27
I have owned both the um1 and re0 and I would say sound quality goes to RE0. aesthetics, comfort, build quality, microphonics go to UM1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back