Which IE to be "balanced" in the $300-$400 range???
May 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ThEvil0nE

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking to purchase an IE which would be balanced for use with the Protector.  I'm into Dave Matthews type genre and love's John Scofield. I'm looking at the UM3X with detachable cable.

Additional comments and other suggestions would highly be appreciated... thanx :)

May 15, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 8
I am not a headphone guru but I do have a UM3X non detachable. They are every very neutral, almost to a point of boring. But when I put on some classical I can definitely appreciate the definition of it. The sound stage is very narrow when compared to my older super.fi 5p.

May 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Westone UM3x scale up with AMPs help and they sound very detailed across the whole frequency range with average soundstage. There are few more top contenders in this pice range like SM3(huge soundstage, detailed mids, clean highs and deep punchy bass), ATH-CK100(clean extennded highs, detailed midrange, good bass with wide soundstage), SE530(above average midrange details with good highs and lows) and TF10Pro(really wide soundstage, punchy bass, clean mids and highs).

May 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 8
With minimal response (thanks exe163 and Oomingmak) but with lots of informative threads (including the appreciation  threads and reviews). For my taste in sound, I'm really liking what I'm reading on the UM3x. I went on and ordered one with detachable cable from earphonesolutions. When balanced and an upgrade cable for RSA Protector I do believe the UM3x is going to be a solid performer. Oh well... here's hoping that all goes well.

May 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Most balanced IEM I've used: RE252.  It has a very slight tilt towards bright but has a very flat frequency response.

The UM3X is a good performer, decently balanced, not super balanced.  Similar goes for the Triple.Fi 10.  Both don't have wild frequency responses, but both do benefit from a little EQing to really flatten out.  Midbass and treble can be strong at times.  The CK10 is another that's well balanced overall with one spot up top around 12kHz that can use a solid, narrow cut.

Frankly, a lot of earphones can be balanced out if you have the EQing power.  If you don't, then you're toying more with specific brands/models and tip setups to try and get a specific end result.

May 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I am not a headphone guru but I do have a UM3X non detachable. They are every very neutral, almost to a point of boring. But when I put on some classical I can definitely appreciate the definition of it. The sound stage is very narrow when compared to my older super.fi 5p.

Well I don't know about it being "boring" but the UM3X has the best separation I have ever heard period, although its soundstage is really small. Imaging is also something else, instruments are really separate and put in specific corners of that very small headroom.

May 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Most balanced IEM I've used: RE252.  It has a very slight tilt towards bright but has a very flat frequency response.

The UM3X is a good performer, decently balanced, not super balanced.  Similar goes for the Triple.Fi 10.  Both don't have wild frequency responses, but both do benefit from a little EQing to really flatten out.  Midbass and treble can be strong at times.  The CK10 is another that's well balanced overall with one spot up top around 12kHz that can use a solid, narrow cut.

Frankly, a lot of earphones can be balanced out if you have the EQing power.  If you don't, then you're toying more with specific brands/models and tip setups to try and get a specific end result.

The OP means "balanced" as in amplification, not FR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back