Which HTPC case is the most quiet one?
Feb 24, 2006 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nuhi

Head-Fier
Can someone please recommend me some quality desktop case which doesn't have tons of small coolers?

It has to support full ATX and not have more than one cooler (if possible 92 or 120mm in size).

Lets asume that money is no object.

(All I found so far is SHARKOON Homedigital HD2
http://links.hr/index.php?option=art...kl=052.617.004
Maybe someone has it and can tell me pros and cons?)

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 7
nuhi: That's difficult to answer without knowing what exactly you want to build into the case...

thomaspf: Yup, Hush does some really nice stuff - but the cases aren't available separately, they only sell complete systems. Have you ever talked to Klaus Heesen, btw? He's a real audio freak (and used to work in that area for years, before he got into computer manufacturing) - and a nice guy to chat with, too. Which model do you have? It might interest you that some of these have a power supply designed by the same guy that does (or at least did) the power supplies for MarkLevinson... Anyway, I like the Swabian approach of Hush - they constantly seem to improve their stuff.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 7
thomaspf, nice, here I had some luck finding these, very similiar:
http://www.mcubed-tech.com/eng/hfx.htm

lini, I would be glad that it runs passive while listening to music or watching a movie but when I start something CPU intensive that it detects higher temperature and starts the coolers. This all is already done, I use Speedfan and control the voltage through motherboard but only issue is the case.
If this mcubed is large enough to receive all normal components like tower case does it would be great and fit on my hi-fi component stand.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Thr mcubed case uses a power supply that has a regulated fan.

The Hush cases really have no fans whatsoever. Initially there where some issues but this line has been revised and optimized over time. have two of them and are very happy at this point.

The main remaining sources of noise are the CD/DVD drive and the hard disk.

In my main system I went with a laptop drive which is now not any louder than the Rega planet it replaced.

I am only using the CD/DVD drive for ripping and movies. Watching DVDs with ffdshow is pretty CPU intensive.

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
Thr mcubed case uses a power supply that has a regulated fan.

Are you sure on this? I investigated the mCubed cases several months ago, and their design was based on a 300W Silverstone Fanless PSU [ST30NF].

The mCubed case is a Silverstone OEM product anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back