Which high end headphone would you buy at these given prices:
May 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Subut

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Bifrost uber and Lyr2 combo and I wanted to sell all my other equipment in order to get one of the following 3 that i found in my area without importing.
So here it goes. Would you rather buy the HD800 for 1250$. The He-6 for 1400$ or a second hand LCD-3 for 1200$. This is all considering that it will be powered by the lyr2. I read somewhere that lyr2 cand drive the lcd3 properly but im not sure. Also my current headphones are beyer dt880, akg q701 and an hd650 (used mainly). Im going for selling these headphones with bunch of mid range amps. I have only tried the HD800 among the candidates and it was a great experience but the main selling point for me (which will sound weird) was that it was the most comfortable headphones i have used. Im not sure why, its probably something with my ears, most headphones i use are very uncomfortable after a while even hd650 which are taught to be very comfortable by most people. Im really scared to pay top dolar for the he 6 or lcd3 only to get the best audio experience with an uncomfort only allowing me to wear them for 30minutes. (Sorry for any english errors im not native)

May 22, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 11
Your Lyr would be able to drive any of these headphones just fine (don't know about the HE-6 though). It shines especially well with the orthodynamics. I am in the same mindset with headphone comfort, I love my HD650 because of its light weight and encapsulating earcups. The HD800 I find even more comfortable, although I find the sound signature a little too bright so I stick with my HD650. I've tried the LCD-2, which is similar in design to the LCD-3. Even though I liked the buttery sound, I find the LCD series to be very heavy and uncomfortable. It would be fine for short listening sessions, but I spend a lot of time at my computer with headphones on, so I prefer lighter dynamic headphones, Sennheiser being the most comfortable for me.

May 22, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 11
if comfort is critical...go with hd800...pairs with Lyr...if u wish..mod the hd800....or roll in some bassier tubes.:D

May 22, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 11
If you like the HD650, LCD-3 would be awesome for you. What pads does it have? Vegan/microsuede pads do a lot to mitigate comfort issues.

May 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Sorry... I meant the pads on the LCD-3. If you have that much of a problem with comfort, you're basically limited to the HD800, or consider the T1.

May 24, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 11
i got the dt880's as well and they are one of the most uncomfortables for me. if t1 cups are the same as the dt880 then im bound to buy hd800 at this point and thanks for the feedback.

May 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 11
I think that they are similar.

What makes them so uncomfortable?

May 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Non-Fazor LCD-3 has lots of space in the cups. The T1 does too IIRC, you may just have big ears though.

May 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 11
I find my Sennheiser's slightly more comfortable than Beyerdynamic's because the cup fully encapsulates the ear. With the Beyerdynamics, although very light and not clamping, rest on my ears ever so slightly. The Audeze's fully encapsulate the ear, but the weight and clamp of these starts to fatigue me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back