which headphones !!?!??!?!?!?!?!
Nov 4, 2002 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sapi

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm just one step before buying a headphones. The problem is that i don't have an opportunity to test a model i'd like cause there are unavailable in my country.

I need headphones for:

1. music creating (cause i can't i use my speakers becuse of my parents complaints )

2. use it for final mastering and material music preparation

3. and for listening to the music ofcourse

4. i like all kind of music form ambient to electronic, pop, house, dance, disco to jazz, funk, trip hop (i don't listen to classical music, but i use natural instrumnts in my compositions very often)

5. my budget is like 80-100$

please help me
best regards
pm'

Nov 4, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 14
My eyes are seeing red.

My 2 cents:

Closed Phones, go with Sony V6 (not V600!). Good for your price range and don't leak sound. Also, fairly good balance for mixing. However, these don't do justice, IMO, to more acoustic forms of music (like Jazz). They'd be okay for mixing, but you might be disappointed with them for listening.

Open Phones: alot of people like the Senn 497, but since I don't have them, I can't comment. I would avoid the Grado line for mixing. IMO, it would be like trying to paint without getting to see the actual color you are using.

Good luck.

Nov 4, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 14
I suggest the Sony MDR V6 also, if you can't find those in your area, try the MDR7506, same exact headphone, just a bit pricy thanks to a gold plated plug.

Avoid the Sennheiser HD497's, those wont work at all, their open headphones and leak quite a bit of sound out.

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 14
if it's for final mastering, you may not want a very boomy can. i read somewhere where a guy's mix was bass lean (even tinny) because he was cutting the bass in the final mix (because the cans had too much bass). after he changed his cans to a more 'neutral' bass, the bass on his recordings went up.

so what type of music are you creating and on what type of equipment (just in case you're doing computer music generation and computer mixing).

dgs, i really don't understand your grado summation (i don't want to use the word "put down" as i know that you have a very valid reason for your statement)

sapi, i saw some audio technica ath-d40fs cans on ebay going for about $45. this is a can which i am suggesting; it's mostly closed, has reasonable comfort, and feel that while it's slightly dark, it may fit what you're looking for. the other model you may want to consider is the audio technica ath-m40fs. both models are usually under $70. but again, it depends on what you're recording. otherwise the sony v6 may suit, as gloco and dgs say.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1394515693 (used $40.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=919805658
(m40fs, $88, new)

what's "NR" mean, newly repaired? m40fs

you'll have to go to the audio technica website to get the specs on the two. i think one is "extended bass" which usually means "exaggerated bass".

at best buy i saw IXOS DJ headphones for $40 - which usually means all bass and no treble.

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 14
I say sony v6s. They are closed, and won't leak much sound. Also, they fall in your price range. Some might say sennheiser hd280, but personally, I just hate them.

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 14
Which country do you live in?

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 14
You should consider the Sennheiser eH2270. It's in your price range and IMO is the most neutral out of the bunch mentioned(hd280,v6,497). They do not have overly boomy bass. Although they have slightly emphasized treble. The might sound abit tinny after being compared to other better phones, but if this is your first can it will sound fine.Good isolation, one of the most comfortable phone.
You might wanna audition them first though.

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn

what's "NR" mean, newly repaired? m40fs

NR stands for "no reserve", as in, there is no reserve price set on the auction. It will go to the highest bidder, regardless if it goes for one single penny.

Nov 5, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 14
Try the Audio Technica ath-m30 phones. They're pretty new and can be found on the web, priced as low as 49.99. They sound similar to the Sony V6, but the midrange is far better, and the highs are not as harsh.

Good flat response and are comfortable closed monitor headphones.
The ath-m40fs are good too.

Nov 5, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 14
well, i trolled the net and found:

AKG K141N - $80
AKG K240M - $90
AKG K240DF - $120
AKG K501 - $134.

that last quote is for me. now my problem is: do i want the k240df (slightly more comfortable than the k501, semi-closed, 600 ohm vs. 501's 200 ohm) or the 501's?

guess it's time to hit the search button on the top....
back...
akg501's - like i thought all along. but them dt731's...
it never ends.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 14
Hey, sorry for the red colour
wink.gif

I'm living in Poland. I have opportunity to test Sennheiser, Koss headphones an others but there is no SONY (V6 or 7506 you mentioned), i haven't look for Grado yet, about Audio technika i think they should be available somewhere. So there is a problem to test a particular models.

Anyway, i'm looking for something universal (means can express every kind of music nice and reproduce music exactly enough).
Something which can meets most people preferences.

I'm not a DJ. I'm making music (mainly to dance, electronic, but with also acoustic instruments usage). For peparing final material - (mixing and mastering) i use computer software.
I need closed canes, comfortable and which will not affect my ears after a few houers listening.

As monitors in my home studio I use B&W DM602 - maybe it also helps just to get the idea what sound is generated by those soundspeakers.

Another impoprtnat thing: I like warm, fat sounds but also with addition with roughy sounds.

Anyway i don't want canes which will colour the sound too much.

best regards
pm'

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 14
well this grado team member has just joined the audio technica team. i just ordered the AD10's (open cans).

therefore, since you're in poland, can you audition audio technica A55's or A500's? they're both about $100 (U.S.)

i would think that you can have something shipped over from england or germany without too much in import or value added taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back