Which headphones will last for 10+ years
May 27, 2008 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

odigg

500+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at different headphones over the last few weeks and I've become curious about something. I've had a pair of Sony headphones for close to 10 years now. They still work well, the frame is in good shape, but the earpads are toast. Sony doesn't sell any replacements for them.

So my question is, which headphone company builds their headphones to last? Which brands keep stock of replacement parts for years after you've purchased your headphones? Which brands would be the ones you wanted if a repair was needed 5 years after you purchased?

Basically, if you planned to keep a pair of headphones for a really long time (10+ years), which brands would you trust?

May 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 19
Well I just got replacement parts for a pair of 30 year old headphones from AKG. I would also have no problem trusting Sennheiser, Koss, Grado and many other recommended companies here. Most of them keep stock on replacement parts for years after they have been discontinued. In fact Koss offers a liftime warranty and are very good about replacing pads for free, even on 20+ year old headphones.

May 27, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 19
HD-25. My dad has a pair of 15 year old ones and only replaced the pads, which will still be available in 3015.

May 27, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 19
If you take care of them, any decent headphone should last more than 10 years, but pads wear out and cords can get damaged, so a company's willingness to stock parts for older models and provide service for years is probably a bigger factor. I've had my Sennheiser HD580s more than 10 years, but I've replaced the earpads twice and the headband pad once.

Tim

May 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 19
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990's from the mid-80s. The headband is a bit worn and the pads have been replaced, but it still sounds incredible. The old Beyers did not look like much, but they were built to last. Then again, I had a vintage AKG K340 that also looked quite spry for its age.

May 27, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 19
Sennheiser HD25
smily_headphones1.gif

It's very hard to destroy them completely, and you can always replace any part.

May 27, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 19
Any quality headphone that you treat with care.

Not having really bad pleather earpads helps, though.

May 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a pair of Sony headphones for close to 10 years now. They still work well, the frame is in good shape, but the earpads are toast.

Let me guess... These are the MDR7506 or V6? If so, the thing to do would be to replace the worn-out pads with the ones for the beyerdynamic DT-250. They're stocked, and even billed as fitting the Sonys, at B&H.

May 27, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 19
honestly the only head-fi approved headphones that are not likely to last 10 years are some of the cheap philips models that sound good but have major structural design defects that guarantee that the plastic will break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back