Which headphones to get???
Dec 15, 2007 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

nate911

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here, been trying to think about what headphones I should get.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have already decided to purchase shortly the Yuin PK2 for earphones.

Yet, I am still undecided about headphones, I am mainly considering the HD555s, DR150s, and maybe the AT ATH-700s. Sound leakage isn't really an issue, so I don't know whether to go open or closed (although I am leaning toward open). I listen to different music, so I would probably benefit from all-around headphones. I also play games.

My budget is probably around 100-150, although I might be flexible with that, it depends.

Thanks in advance!
cool.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 31
All three that you are considering are solid options - however if you like rock, then I'd recommend picking up a secondhand Grado SR225 on the forums. They are considered the quintessential rock can around here, and go used for around $150.

Also I should mention the ATH-AD700 isn't so suited for rap.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phraxos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All three that you are considering are solid options - however if you like rock, then I'd recommend picking up a secondhand Grado SR225 on the forums. They are considered the quintessential rock can around here, and go used for around $150.

Also I should mention the ATH-AD700 isn't so suited for rap.

Ok, so the 700s don't have good bass? I'll look into the Grado SR225s.

EDIT: I don't really want to buy used headphones, if at all possible I would like new headphones within my budget. I am by no means an audiophile so I probably won't tell much difference, but I would like a good set of cans.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 31
Audio-Technicas in general aren't particularly bass-heavy, though there seem to be exceptions (L3000). On top of that the AD700s are open, which are as a rule less bass-heavy than closed cans - I think to enjoy rap and some kinds of rock you'd be better off getting the DR150's (known for good bass) or the Grados (known for punchy bass). I can't speak to the Senns, but they have a good reputation around here too.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phraxos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-Technicas in general aren't particularly bass-heavy, though there seem to be exceptions (L3000). On top of that the AD700s are open, which are as a rule less bass-heavy than closed cans - I think to enjoy rap and some kinds of rock you'd be better off getting the DR150's (known for good bass) or the Grados (known for punchy bass). I can't speak to the Senns, but they have a good reputation around here too.

I updated my first post, because I listen to all types of music really, so an all-around 'phone would work best for me I think. Is there a good Grado headphone in my price range? Or would I be better of with the HD555s or DR150s?

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR 225 are great for rock.

They are too expensive for my budget I am pretty sure. I have heard they are the most comfortable and I want comfort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DR150's - value is gigantic!

Thanks for the input! Do you own some or can compare them to other headphones?

Anybody else?

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound leakage isn't really an issue, so I don't know whether to go open or closed

I recommend a open can. PK2 would be a good start if your budget is there.
I have a PK1 for all around.

for me personally.. closed headphone of any kind products stress and causes headache for me. (even with aggressive noise reducing like Bose quietcomfort3 it is On ear not around ear but still puts on some stress for me.... but it's better than the stress from the flight/train/vaccum noise.

funny sig. I just read through that whole thing w/o even stopping once and think "what is this word?" I guess the guy is right.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Furia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend a open can. PK2 would be a good start if your budget is there.
I have a PK1 for all around.

for me personally.. closed headphone of any kind products stress and causes headache for me. (even with aggressive noise reducing like Bose quietcomfort3 it is On ear not around ear but still puts on some stress for me.... but it's better than the stress from the flight/train/vaccum noise.

funny sig. I just read through that whole thing w/o even stopping once and think "what is this word?" I guess the guy is right.

I am already getting Yuin PK2's.

You think open is more comfortable than closed, right?

tongue.gif
I think it's cool, don't even know how I read it myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are a competitor to the HD580, the HD580's beat them but it is not by much.

You talking about the HD280Pros, right?

The main advantage I guess is the 280 is close to $100 while the HD580 is $200-250.

I'm leaning towards the DR150s I think, just don't know if the extra $50 is worth getting them versus the HD555.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am already getting Yuin PK2's.

You think open is more comfortable than closed, right?

tongue.gif
I think it's cool, don't even know how I read it myself.

I think you will be happy with PK2...
I think PK1 is very good compare to Grado RS-1 ($700) and some said PK1 "CAN" (the forbidden word!) hold ground against his Grado RS-2 ($500ish?) I assume PK2 isn't that far behind PK1

Remember to post you thoughts in the post after you gave it some proper burn-in

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/yui...7/index44.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back