Which headphones to get under $200?
Jul 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Elbows

New Head-Fier
I've got two bills to drop on a nice pair of over ear headphones. I was hoping I could tap into the well of knowledge that is you bonified audiophiles.

I'm mostly going to be using them for commuting around town, and listening at my computer for long periods of time.

I mostly listen to a wide range of music, from rock to jazz to punk to electronic (not dubstep, so I would rather not sacrifice overall sound quality for crushing bass) so I guess I just need a good all around headphone.

I've read good things about the Audio-Technica ATH M50 and the Ultrasone hfi 580's as good choices under $200, but they seem to heavily emphasize bass (especially the latter).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I've got two bills to drop on a nice pair of over ear headphones. I was hoping I could tap into the well of knowledge that is you bonified audiophiles.

I'm mostly going to be using them for commuting around town, and listening at my computer for long periods of time.

I mostly listen to a wide range of music, from rock to jazz to punk to electronic (not dubstep, so I would rather not sacrifice overall sound quality for crushing bass) so I guess I just need a good all around headphone.

I've read good things about the Audio-Technica ATH M50 and the Ultrasone hfi 580's as good choices under $200, but they seem to heavily emphasize bass (especially the latter).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

As you are new, you probably did not see this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/16305#post_8522791

There are several folks who recently have asked essentially the same thing that you have here.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Stretch your budget about 40 bucks more, and get the AKG Q701's. They have stellar sound quality, and amazing comfort. Perfect for listening for hours at a time. However, they are not the most portable cans in the world. Just something to consider.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

It would be help full to know what source(s) your going to be plugging your new headphones into?

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Stretch your budget about 40 bucks more, and get the AKG Q701's. They have stellar sound quality, and amazing comfort. Perfect for listening for hours at a time. However, they are not the most portable cans in the world. Just something to consider.

you certainly like you Q701s quite a bit eh?
I see you recommending them in almost every thread 
biggrin.gif

if you don't have those 40 bucks, then take a look at the k271. Basically a closed younger brother of the k701s

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
you certainly like you Q701s quite a bit eh?
I see you recommending them in almost every thread 
biggrin.gif

if you don't have those 40 bucks, then take a look at the k271. Basically a closed younger brother of the k701s

Honestly, if they didn't sound good, I would not be recommending them. But after listening to similar headphones, the Q's take the cake. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back