Which headphones from local retailer?
May 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hartlocker

New Head-Fier
Hey head-fi! I've been looking to get headphones for around $100, (maybe +$30 at most) and there is a local retailer with a fairly varied selection, and I'm wondering which ones are overpriced or juut not worth my time. The store's headphone selection is here.
I'm looking to get headphones sometime in the future and this is one of my only viable options for +$100 headphones.
Thanks for reading and helping me choose a pair of headphones!

May 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Dang, they have a good selection.

For your budget, go for the Fostex T50RP's. They are incredible headphones, even unmodded. Some folks will swear they just aren't worth the money unmodded, but I thought they were easily comparable to the Sennheiser HD600's I got to A/B them with.

May 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Dang, they have a good selection.

For your budget, go for the Fostex T50RP's. They are incredible headphones, even unmodded. Some folks will swear they just aren't worth the money unmodded, but I thought they were easily comparable to the Sennheiser HD600's I got to A/B them with.

Don't they have a larger than 3.5 mm jack? (I forget the name, 1/4 inch?)
Edit: They seem to have 1/4 to 1/8 adapters in stock, should I get them still? I'll check if my iPod can drive them.
Edit 2: They only have a 50 Ohm impedance, so far I think I'll crab those and an adapter. I'm not in a rush so I'll wait for more suggestions. Thanks a lot for looking through the selection and suggesting these!

May 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 10
They still sound fantastic without an amp. I was actually curious about that myself before hearing them, but they really do sound excellent.

May 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 10
What are you looking for in a headphone? Neutral sound? Bass heavy? If you want something to mix or record with, the Fostex T50RP should work for you, otherwise the Sennheiser HD280 is also used for radio broadcast and monitoring, etc.

May 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
What are you looking for in a headphone? Neutral sound? Bass heavy? If you want something to mix or record with, the Fostex T50RP should work for you, otherwise the Sennheiser HD280 is also used for radio broadcast and monitoring, etc.

I'm only looking for something to listen to, with a bit of controlled bass. I think the Senns might be my go to, but they have quite mixed reviews. It's also a plus they're actually in stock. I won't be able to get to the store before next week, so there isn't much of a rush.

May 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 10
^To be honest, I haven't actually listened to most any of the 'phones that store carries. You could have a look at this however:

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=533&graphID[1]=3251&graphID[2]=3551&graphID[3]=2941&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back