which Headphones for Ipod and amp
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ufo

New Head-Fier
hello all newbee here, pretty well all my music listening nowadays is done with either my Ipod or walkman and I have decided to upgrade my headphones , after a lot of trawling through reviews on the net I have decided to go for a creek OBH-II headphone amplifier ( the ad says its a new model ) and I have only narrowed the headphones down to 3 choices, all sennheisers the models are hd 595, hd 600 and hd 650 my music tastes range from a bit of bob dilan a lot of pink floyd and at the top end a bit of hendrix, I would be greatfull if someone could help me with finding the right headphone for the job and that will work with the amp, ........oh the headphones must be full size and open.

thanks ufo

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm a fan of the HD595, but I can't think of a thing it does better than the HD580/6X0 when properly amped. If you were going unamped occasionally it would be different, but amped read up on the big brothers and try to figure which you'd prefer. Bang for buck though it's going to be the HD580/600. And yes, there are still some HD580s still floating around. HD580 is one of the best deals on headphonedom.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 10
Definitely loose the 595. 600 vs. 650 is a personal choice. Read into them here and you'll learn the difference soon enough.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello all newbee here, pretty well all my music listening nowadays is done with either my Ipod or walkman and I have decided to upgrade my headphones , after a lot of trawling through reviews on the net I have decided to go for a creek OBH-II headphone amplifier ( the ad says its a new model ) and I have only narrowed the headphones down to 3 choices, all sennheisers the models are hd 595, hd 600 and hd 650 my music tastes range from a bit of bob dilan a lot of pink floyd and at the top end a bit of hendrix, I would be greatfull if someone could help me with finding the right headphone for the job and that will work with the amp, ........oh the headphones must be full size and open.

thanks ufo

Just make sure that your music is lossless or close, otherwise those headphones wont even be nearing their potentials. I would say the HD 600, just because it is my favorite of the three. I think that the HD 650 might be a tad better, technically, but I like the 600s far more for the type of music that you suggested.

Also, LEARN HOW TO SPELL DYLAN!

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the help, its surprising how a few answers can help you make your mind up.

yep just noticed the Dylan mistake
redface.gif

ufo

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 10
x2 on the hd600. It faces stiff competition at my home from two headphones I truly love (vintage DT990 and K500 with K601 pads), but it holds its own.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 10
thanks again for the help, I think I will go with the hd 600s, is my choice of amp the OBH-II headphone amplifier going to be ok with the 600s, also will they still give good SQ on low volume.

ufo

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just make sure that your music is lossless or close, otherwise those headphones wont even be nearing their potentials.

In principle, with home equipment, that matters a lot. With an iPod as source, it's been my experience that it doesn't make a noticeable difference. When I still had my HD580, they were really a pleasure when I ran them through my Apogee Duet. I still miss them
redface.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 10
A HD650 would need proper amplification. My bet would be on either the 580 or the 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back