which headphone/set?
Jun 28, 2005 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

speedo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sure of it that I can learn something from you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess you all thought ''ooooh no, not again'' when you red the the topictitle, but all the reviews just made me even more confused.

I'm looking to a headphone/headset for gaming, dvd's, music (mp3) and portable audio. The most important thing is that it rocks with music
smily_headphones1.gif
My maximum budget is 120 Euro. I've red some reviews and I think it's gonna be a Sennheiser...but which one?
biggrin.gif

I was thinking about these:

- Sennheiser HD 490 78 euro
- Sennheiser HD 497 53 euro
- Sennheiser HD 515 75 euro
- Sennheiser HD 555 105 euro
- Sennheiser HD 212 Pro 45 euro
- Sennheiser 280 pro 109 euro

OR (headsets):

- Sennheiser pc 150 55 euro
- Sennheiser pc 155 usb 109 euro
- Plantronics gamecom pro 85 euro
- Siberia icemat 60 euro

I guess you guys will say something like ''it's personal taste'' and so on, but the problem is that there isn't a good audioshop here in Nijmegen (Netherlands
tongue.gif
) so I just need to know what a good headphone is for 120 euro (or less
biggrin.gif
). Which names of this list can I cross out? And which names can I add to this list?

Thanks in advance
lambda.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 17
What kind of source are you using? What kind of music do you listen to?

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 17
I agree with better forgetting about the headsets, furthermore the HD490 can safely be removed from the list (old model and overpriced), and the 515 isn't that great sonically either. The best allrounder certainly is the HD555, though it's not exactly small and thus not ideal for mobile use. A HD497 or 212Pro would be better suited for mobile use, depending on how much isolation you need (the 212 does very well here but also is a Basshead 'phone with a capital B), but their silver color does stand out. The 280 would probably be the best bet if you want full-sized closed cans with very good isolation, but sonically it isn't up to par with the 555. These prices aren't too bad btw, hardly more than 10€ more than here in Germany when shopping online.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
I agree with better forgetting about the headsets, furthermore the HD490 can safely be removed from the list (old model and overpriced), and the 515 isn't that great sonically either. The best allrounder certainly is the HD555, though it's not exactly small and thus not ideal for mobile use. A HD497 or 212Pro would be better suited for mobile use, depending on how much isolation you need (the 212 does very well here but also is a Basshead 'phone with a capital B), but their silver color does stand out. The 280 would probably be the best bet if you want full-sized closed cans with very good isolation, but sonically it isn't up to par with the 555. These prices aren't too bad btw, hardly more than 10€ more than here in Germany when shopping online.

Ok so no headsets. Well mobile use is not a primary 'must'. The headphone doesn't have to be closed either, because only the neighbour doesn't have to hear me
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

What kind of source are you using? What kind of music do you listen to?

Mainly computer and my yamaha psr 2000 (keyboard) . I listen to everything: rock, classical, pop, metal..just everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Grado SR-60's? I have a pair, and yes... they rock! Very fun, and easy to drive along with a sweet price. Are grado's an option or are you limited to Senns?

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 17
The HD555 and a desktop mic is probably a good way to go. Another idea is the Audio-Techinca ATH-A500; I'm not sure where you can get it though. Audiocubes (www.audiocubes.com) sells it for $110 USD, but I don't know if they'll ship it to where you're at. The A500 is a very good sounding headphone, and it's closed, so it won't leak sound everywhere. It's huge and too bulky for portable use, but is very easy to drive. Yet another idea is the new Sony XD400, which is supposed to be quite a bargain.

The headsets - don't bother. If you know of any clip-on mics for a set of headphones, then get one of the cans mentioned above and turn it into your own headset. Otherwise, a desktop mic will work fine, even if it may occasionally pick up key presses. Alternatively, you can get an el-cheapo headset and wear it around your neck as a microphone, like I do. I'm using a Senn HD600 for gaming/computer listening, and some cheap headset from some company I don't know or care about. I plug in the mic from the headset but not the headphone, and voila... Not too uncomfortable, either.

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro
Grado SR-60's? I have a pair, and yes... they rock! Very fun, and easy to drive along with a sweet price. Are grado's an option or are you limited to Senns?

No, I'm not limited to Sennheisers but I hear from everyone that Sennheiser is so good and so on. So when there are better types from other brands it's fine too
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The A500 is a very good sounding headphone, and it's closed, so it won't leak sound everywhere. It's huge and too bulky for portable use

They don't have to be closed. I heared that open-air headphones are better. Is that correct? And what is the difference between the HD555 and the A500?

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 17
So I guess it's gonna be the HD555...But I red somewhere that the HD280pro was better?

Btw, I have a SB Live..But maybe I'm going to buy sb's new X-fi soundcards when they are released..

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 17
No the 280 isn't better, it's different. The 555 is much warmer and more pleasurable to listen to for music.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 17
280 > 555? Unlikely. It's always easier to achieve good sound in open cans, and the respective frequency responses agree.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...nnheiser+HD555
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...iser+HD280+Pro
FR isn't everything (doesn't cover soundstaging/resonance effects and all, where open cans have an advantage), but it's part of the image.
BTW, if you can find a HD485 anywhere, these cans might also be worth considering if you want to stay further away from your price limit. You can barely get them at a handful of online dealers in .de though, so I have no idea about the availability in .nl.

If you still have the old Live! (or 5.1), at least get a Live! 24-Bit instead. It doesn't feature a true Emu10k DSP (and doesn't have much to do with the old Live!s at all), but is cheap (typically 20-30 €) and far better sonically. It supports both 48 and 96 kHz sample rates and 16 and 24 bits and is probably the least expensive card to allow 24/96 recording (with decent results at that).

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
280 > 555? Unlikely. It's always easier to achieve good sound in open cans, and the respective frequency responses agree.
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...nnheiser+HD555
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...iser+HD280+Pro
FR isn't everything (doesn't cover soundstaging/resonance effects and all, where open cans have an advantage), but it's part of the image.
BTW, if you can find a HD485 anywhere, these cans might also be worth considering if you want to stay further away from your price limit. You can barely get them at a handful of online dealers in .de though, so I have no idea about the availability in .nl.

If you still have the old Live! (or 5.1), at least get a Live! 24-Bit instead. It doesn't feature a true Emu10k DSP (and doesn't have much to do with the old Live!s at all), but is cheap (typically 20-30 €) and far better sonically. It supports both 48 and 96 kHz sample rates and 16 and 24 bits and is probably the least expensive card to allow 24/96 recording (with decent results at that).

Hmz ok and what about audigy..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back