Which headphone + portable amp combo for listening new age?
Jul 13, 2005 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Baycode

Headphoneus Supremus
Which headphone + portable mini amp combo should I choose for listening New Age, Chill-out, Ambient and Instrumental music (my upper limit is 500 USD)? I have been searching the forums for 5 months but could not decide which one to choose. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks,
Baycode

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 13
That's a lot to spend on a portable setup. The best portable non-IEM headphone from what I've read around here is the HD25-1. But it seems most consider them a bit over-priced.
I know the KSC35/75 does very well with that kind of music and sounds great when paired with a PA2V2. But that's WAAAY below your price point.
If you do want IEMs you might want to get them first and decide later if you really need an amp as most of them don't really need it and won't be improved all that much by one.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 13
I listen to some of those types of music and am extremely happy with the Etymotic ER-4S (or 4P with P->S adaptor) canalphones and a portable Pimeta. The Ety would set you back $200-240 or so, the Pimeta $150 or so, and both would be even less money purchased used.

I own the HD25 and while I do like it, I don't think I would especially recommend it for music that is "light" or "delicate." It has a very satisfying and involving sound, but it's just not what I turn to when I want, say, to hear the space around the notes.

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 13
KSC75 and govibe. IMHO the govibe is more spatious and airy sounding than the PA2. Mids are less forward.

Garrett

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 13
STAX 0202..
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baycode
Which headphone + portable mini amp combo should I choose for listening New Age, Chill-out, Ambient and Instrumental music (my upper limit is 500 USD)? I have been searching the forums for 5 months but could not decide which one to choose. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks,
Baycode

I already own KSC-35 and 75. I just want to get something better sounding, has more seperation, has more details.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 13
Try out AKG K240S. Although they are not as detailed as HD6x0 or Grados, I just love the effortless, warm and relaxed presentation they offer. Few days ago I was "blown away" by them when listening to Cocteau Twins (especially "Pandora") around 2am!

Besides their soundstage is incredible: not only wide but also deep. Maybe it's just me but I can hear music in 3D with these headphones - unlike with K501 which have wide but flat soundstage, HD600 with their narrow and deep soundstage and RS1 with no soundstage.

EDIT: Have you ever heard Sacred Spirit (Indigo Spirit/Culture Clash or Jazzy Chill-Out)? If you like this kind of music, K240S might be the headphones for you.

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer
Try out AKG K240S. Although they are not as detailed as HD6x0 or Grados, I just love the effortless, warm and relaxed presentation they offer. Few days ago I was "blown away" by them when listening to Cocteau Twins (especially "Pandora") around 2am!

Besides their soundstage is incredible: not only wide but also deep. Maybe it's just me but I can hear music in 3D with these headphones - unlike with K501 which have wide but flat soundstage, HD600 with their narrow and deep soundstage and RS1 with no soundstage.

EDIT: Have you ever heard Sacred Spirit (Indigo Spirit/Culture Clash or Jazzy Chill-Out)? If you like this kind of music, K240S might be the headphones for you.

I listen to Turkish Ethno-Electronic and Chill-out albums from Mercan Dede, Divan, Orient Expressions, and for New age Yanni, Kitaro, Dead Can Dance, Enya, Enigma, etc.

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer

I did not listen Sacred Spirit. But I am keeping in my mind about your K240s advice. Did you try Audio-Technica, Grado and Alessandro headphones for this type of music?
Thanks.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I already own KSC-35 and 75. I just want to get something better sounding, has more seperation, has more details.

this is why u have to hear the STAX basic setup...
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I did not listen Sacred Spirit. But I am keeping in my mind about your K240s advice. Did you try Audio-Technica, Grado and Alessandro headphones for this type of music?
Thanks.

My "top" headphones are Sennheiser HD600, Grado RS1 and AKG K501. I usualy try different headphones with my CDs. From the artists you mentioned I know Dead Can Dance, Enya and Enigma. My preference is: DCD = HD600 (sometimes RS1), Enya = RS1, Enigma = K240S. Other "electronica" I listen to: J.M.Jarre ("Oxygen", "Equinox"), Kraftwerke ("Computer World") and Vangelis ("Heaven And Hell"). For all those albums I prefer HD600.

HOWEVER, when I want to relax I always grab K240S - no matter what album or kind of music I'm listening to at the moment. There is something about this effortless, warm, smooth and relaxed sound of K240S that makes me reach for these headphones quite often...

So here you go... Tough choice, isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I listen to some of those types of music and am extremely happy with the Etymotic ER-4S (or 4P with P->S adaptor) canalphones and a portable Pimeta. The Ety would set you back $200-240 or so, the Pimeta $150 or so, and both would be even less money purchased used.

I own the HD25 and while I do like it, I don't think I would especially recommend it for music that is "light" or "delicate." It has a very satisfying and involving sound, but it's just not what I turn to when I want, say, to hear the space around the notes.

I second that. Etymotic 4S available new for $200 - may be better to get the 4P with S converter since the more effcient 4P could be used with no external amp when needed.

If you instead go with the Lehmann Black Cube linear amp ($650 if you search around) and ETY 4S combo it is pure heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back